cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brtains defence should be a major topic at the next election ?

Community Veteran

Brtains defence should be a major topic at the next election ?

Retired head of the army, General Sir Mike Jackson has called for the subject of defence to be a major topic for the next election.
Too right - so many governments - from Macmillan, Wilson,Heath ,  Thatcher, Majors, Blair and now Brown have not given the defence of the country the priority it deserves.
Money spent on defence is not always popular - especially issues such as the nuclear weapons - but Britain is an island nation - dependant on free trade across the ocean and so we need a strong Navy, Air Force and Army.
As a start - I would say that the programme for two new fleet aircraft carriers for the RN is absolutely essential, given the lessons of the Falklands war.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Brtains defence should be a major topic at the next election ?

I suspect that it won't be for the simple reason that every major party is as bad as each other and won't actually want to debate it at all.
They're happy to score a few cheap points off each other at present but as an election gets closer they'll all steer well clear of it.
Community Veteran

Re: Brtains defence should be a major topic at the next election ?

I sense the public is becoming more aware of defence and certainly demanding proper spending to protect our armed forces.