cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brown accused of Bullying

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Brown accused of Bullying

Several people in Gordon Brown's office have contacted an anti-bullying charity, its boss has told the BBC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8527170.stm.
Can he survive?
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Brown accused of Bullying

Interesting if they've said this.
I've had to deal with bullying at work and these help lines always promote themselves as totally confidential in all directions.
I think it seriously discredits their future independence if accurately reported.  Cry
Community Veteran

yes of course - this is hardly news - it has been public for years that brown is a bit of a bully. But of course it is election time, so fair game.
And do we all believe that Margaret Thatcher was a lovely polite PM to her ministers - the evidence is that she was just as bad as Brown is alleged to be.

Not called the iron lady for nothing.
Community Veteran

Indeed, and who will ever forget the Spitting Image sketch with her and the cabinet eating together - "and what about the vegetables?"  Grin
Community Veteran

I saw Mandleson on the Andrew Marr Show this morning and also saw an interview with Andrew Rawnsley at lunchtime today.  Rawnsley came across very plausibly and backed up the statements made in his book.  He said there is no reference to physical abuse in his book but examples of verbal abuse.  He names names where individuals are no longer working in government but as you would expect he has not named any source where the individual is still around. 
Community Veteran

All I know is that my missus (a civil servant) works with Ministers, who are usually polite but VERY demanding, though at times it can get very rough indeed. Not for the sensitive souls of this world.
Number 10 does NOT wait, thus it has always been with all governments. That's politics.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

And for a longtime.
My mother worked in 10 Downing Street,and  in the underground bunker during WWII, my Aunt worked as a secretary to several MP's.
i can't remember exact details but I do remember tales of Churchill, and then other ministers when i was a child being very robust.
Other people have described Churchill, for all his brilliance as an ignorant man ( his secretaries say he kept them working for very very late hours etc ) .
So these sorts of stories are hardly new.
again I say - it is just political opportunism attacking the current PM.
I'm not defending Brown, i don't much care for him myself,  but I don't like this sort of thing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wonder if there is more to this, (as an example:- the 'anti-bullying' charity has its own agenda).
Can understand demanding, as HP says that is politics (and business). Tantrums and shouting  are (probably) acceptable when a target is not met a deadline missed or a mistake is made. That is the way of the world.
But accusations by 3 or 4 persons of bullying is a serious.
From Tim Field, he was a world authority on workplace bullying.
"Bullying is a compulsive need to displace aggression and is achieved by the expression of inadequacy (social, personal, interpersonal, behavioural, professional) by projection of that inadequacy onto others through control and subjugation (criticism, exclusion, isolation etc). Bullying is sustained by abdication of responsibility (denial, counter-accusation, pretence of victimhood) and perpetuated by a climate of fear, ignorance, indifference, silence, denial, disbelief, deception, evasion of accountability, tolerance and reward (eg promotion) for the bully."

Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
But accusations by 3 or 4 persons of bullying is a serious.

The charity have merely said they were contacted for advice; no allegations..
Their web site also says: "Where confidentiality is sought it is always given - unconditionally."
One does wonder what their agenda is, especially given the political names prominent on their home page (NOT Brown supporters......)  Huh
Like Mal0z I don't care for this sort of political opportunism.
Community Veteran

'three or four calls' and not a single person named as source?  phooey!  how many people work with brown on a daily basis?  sounds like another 'terry' story.  sound and wind, signifying nothing.
Community Veteran

Or, more likely, the anti-bullying charity grabbing the opportunity for a bit of free publicity?  Roll eyes
(in what seems a rather insensitive and inappropriate way?)
Community Veteran

Hmmm......
Just been listening to the Today program, lengthy interviews on this including the head of that charity.
Both my missus and I concluded that she sounds at best "devious" and that we probably wouldn't want to touch her, even with your bargepole.
Community Veteran

I saw her interviewed on TV last night.  Came across as a typical do-gooder to me.  I think she is going to have to put-up or shut-up.  Ann Widicombe, who is connected with the charity, said it was wrong what she has done in highlighting the matter in public.
Community Veteran

I agree it is highly distasteful of the charity to speak out publicly like this. It is also a breech of confidentiality to those who complained of course.
Community Veteran

It's just been announced on LBC that one of the patrons of the charity has resigned.  The charity is backed by both the Conservative and Labour parties apparently.
The leader of the charity has an unfortunate surname doesn't she Wink