cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed too low? Leave with no penalties!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Broadband speed too low? Leave with no penalties!

From 20th June, broadband providers (except Virgin) have to give you an estimate of your speed range. If it goes below the lower estimate you can leave without penalties! Ok, there are a few rules but that's it in a nutshell.
I can see major problems coming with faults  being chased as Isp's race to keep subscribers and BT gets overloaded. Also, with so many people on the market for internet, expect many great introductory offers too.
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/583675/Broadband-Speed-Control-Ofcom-Mobile-P...
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

New Ofcom Broadband Speed Code of Practice

Couldn't think where to post this, moderators please feel free to move if you like.
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/cop/Broadband_Speeds_Code_June_2015.pdf
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: New Ofcom Broadband Speed Code of Practice

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Broadband speed too low? Leave with no penalties!

Unfortunately, there is no mention of the fact that many of these problems are caused by the BT network - and nowhere does it say their dismal performance will be addressed.
John
Fixes: 47

Virgin Media – which uses a cable system – is exempt from the Ofcom changes.

Unlike the rest who use Openreach's wet string system Wink
I can imagine an end user switching, switching etc and ending back where they started with the final realisation that it's OR that's the cause of the problem.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

isn't this just going to result in ISPs giving a very low estimate, thus creating a situation where it's unlikely you'll get below the estimate.
Community Veteran

ISP's will be between a rock and a hard place. Being to give a low estimate to aid retention but wanting to give a high estimate to draw the customers in.
We all know that the bulk of the problems are Openreach with the bulk of the remaining problems caused by customers themselves.
Personally, I feel that ISP's will put in a clause that before leaving under this New ruling you MUST give them a fair chance to rectify any problems. Then they will make you jump through hoops to comply with this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It is fair that ISP's be given the opportunity to put things right but that should be time limited.
As for stating a minimum speed it is quite likely if that was set too low other ISP's would simply increase these.
There is also the problem of varying speeds in my case they vary from 38 MB/s to 3 MB/s
nanotm
Pro

I read somewhere that the mgals will need to be no lower than 50% of the upper estimate giving quite a narrow speed range, in order to prevent problems its likely that the "new" btw speed tester will simply change the metrics used to give results that are somewhere near the middle of the estimate range .......
for instance my line estimate was 69.09Mbps/20Mbps which would give me a minimum of 34.545Mpbs/10Mbps my average speed test result is 50Mbps/16Mbps a result that recently I started to get regardless of how many downloads were being conducted on my line, I am aware that using the iptv service and having 9 people running downloads from various places at a rate of about 5mbps should severely limit the results from the speed tester yet for some unfathomable reason they have zero effect ... by comparison doing the same test on okoola's speedtest.net I get a much lower (and more realistic) 25Mbps/5Mbps, when I ran the two tests side by side they give totally different results when the connection is being heavily used yet almost the same results when its just one device connected and the two speedtest pages are open
it makes me suspicious of the BTW results because they are clearly not testing my connection to from the router via the isp server but rather pining the FTTC cab from the exchange and then suggesting that any dip in performance is down to the isp .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

If this somehow stimulates the resolving of poor quality phones lines which have been hanging on poles or buried in the ground for 30 years, well that is great.
Ultimately the consumer will win this argument, however BTO at the moment are holding out as much as possible to get BDUK funds for doing this work.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Good response here on feedback forum. She with all that it's said except the comment about women. Smiley

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140300.msg1237682.html#msg1237682
Community Veteran

Apparent speed of Internet can depend on such factors as responsiveness (low ping) and contention rather than just bandwidth.  It will be interesting to see how these rules measure performance.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.