cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed advertising is misleading according to MPs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Broadband speed advertising is misleading according to MPs

I was reading this article this morning from the BBC, and wondering how long it would be before legislation would appear. But I was also wondering if you were to take an ISP to court could you cite this article in your defence?

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: Broadband speed advertising is misleading according to MPs

It's a pity someone doesn't explain to these people the technology limitations and it's primarily the distance from the Exchange or Fibre Cabinet over (sometimes poor) copper and aluminium wires that limits the speed. But what makes matters worse is that Openreach are not forced to repair or replace sub-standard lines Angry

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Imagine if ISP,s could only charge full price to cutomers who actually recive the speed they pay for ,, if your speed is reduced due to the wire limitations you get a reduced bill .

Then they may invest in the infrastucture Roll eyes

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

But they don't own the infrastructure, which is why comments like that will mislead the average person Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Take my fibre upgrade as an example. According to BT I could get what it says in BT.png, but in the order completion email I got from Plusnet it's way different see PN.png. Now what hacks me off about this is not PN covering their corporate [-Censored-] but the estimate provided is an fact another product at a different price! This I know has nothing to do with advertising, but it is related to getting what you contracted for.