cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband light years ahead?

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Broadband light years ahead?

Many years ago I was shown a demo of using lighting to transmit data around homes & offices, hearing no more I assumed it didn't have commercial potential.

Now there's talk of using lighting to provide superfast broadband

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broadband light years ahead?

Not convinced by this to be honest, it appears to be quite directional and who wants to sit in their lounge with all the lights on just so they can get a signal. Not to mention the excessive screen glare caused by them. In a working environment yes, but even then it would mean the lights needed to be on even in the middle of summer which isn't very environmentally friendly.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Maybe it`s a "slow news day"... and the BBC wish to bring some "light" releif to the mundane stories of the day

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Back to the present : I’m watching CityFibre laying Gigafast cables outside our house. So far only Vodafone are supplying the services but the pricing looks very good....

Highlighted
Fixes: 415

What happened to fibre via the sewer system.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

There`s enough cr.. on telly without laying the cables through it... ! Shocked

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Strat wrote:

What happened to fibre via the sewer system.

they discovered the fat bergs cut the cables amongst other hazards to them in the sewers 

indeed laying the wires should be a simple case of pulling them trough existing ducts regardless and the real problems to expanding the fibre network are generally political obfuscation attempting to prevent a single unified provider from deploying the network operations frame to everyone... in some regards I can understand this sicne you dont really want one company to have and advantage over all the others ignoring the importance of compatibility and interconnectivity boosts that would occur for everyone

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you