cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Costs 2004/2005

Fixes: 47

Broadband Costs 2004/2005

During a clean out I came across some documents, Excel and Word relating to business broadband at a company I worked for.
We used Business Serve at the time (2004) and were paying £93.94 per month for a 0.5Mb connection.
As I recall Business Serve introduced a 1Mb service but in order for us to take advantage of this we would have to start a new contract with associated costs.
I therefore looked around for an alternative supplier and came across Force9
My notes at the time included...
Transfer of Broadband from Business Serve to Force 9
• Benefits of the changes to our Broadband supplier
1. Considerable cost savings (£44.96/month)
2. Better Quality of Service
3. Higher speed possible ( up to 2Mb/sec )
4. Spam filtering included
5. Anti-virus filtering included

I also noted...
Because Business Serve does not support ‘Transfer-out’ we need to cancel our Broadband account with them and wait for BT to clear it ( 1 week ). We then need to apply to Force 9 for a new Broadband account which they will provision…another week.
Therefore it means 2 weeks minimum without Internet and email.
We have become very dependant on this facility and 2 weeks loss will cause issues.

How times change....thankfully.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
9 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Broadband Costs 2004/2005

I recall that in April 2002 I was paying Pipex £23.44 per month for 512k connection. It was unlimited but ....
Community Veteran

In around 1995-1996 ish we blagged a free connection from Pipex in the Technical Center I used to run - we could demo it to potential customers and if they liked how it ran they could sign up for it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

£49.95 a month for a 128kb connection over X25 with a terminal server serial linked to the PC, that was 1992
Community Veteran

I will also say that I'm old enough to remember dialling the old prestel systems on 300 baud and placing the handset into the modem as they were acoustically coupled.
I also sold similar modems many many years ago.
Fixes: 125

I remember using a system like that back in the mid 70's during math and physics lessons. The teacher would dial a number and as soon as the tone was heard he would place the receiver in the acoustic coupler.
We had to use punch cards to enter our own programs. In fact, back then I was given the task to write a program for N!. Seemed a difficult task at the time having to wait several days for the printout to arrive just to see a silly mistake screwed the whole thing up. Sorted it in the end, though Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Heh, funny how quickly time moves on. 13 years ago I started using dialup. I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I found flashget which lets you pause and resume downloads meaning I could schedule things overnight. Then people started getting broadband and everyone I knew started switching and claiming how brilliant it was etc. When we finally decided to go with it too we got a whopping 7.2Mb  Shocked Useless for p2p but at least webpages came through rather quickly along with file downloads via http  Smiley
Now you can get broadband on a usb dongle or your mobile. I've not used the dongle for many months now but just being able to get connected to the internet with a usb stick that gives you speeds many times faster than dialup is incredible don't you think? I remember my old LG mobile could connect via dialup and share it via bluetooth which at the time seemed really cool (though extremely slow) but the latest smart phones even include router software too Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think most people would be surprised how short a time broadband has been commonplace.  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I used to run a BBS (remember them) back in then late 80's, we had a separate phone line installed just for that and had to pay line rental + line costs for the HST modem we used then.
When I moved back to Scotland in '92 I had a dial up then moved to ISDN (Don't miss the £70 Line rental/qtr costs of that) along with a FREE isp package. Then I was using a 2Mb fix line at work (shared with 30K school kids  Embarrassed) at some extortionate cost per qtr. (Glad I wasn't paying it), when I left they were connecting to the Super Janet network.
Personally I moved to ADSL as soon as it was available here, then to fibre asap as well. My on costs of BB have been <£25/month for past 5 years.
nadger
Rising Star

When I  first started using Linux in dial  up days the MK User Group met at OU and we had access to Janet.
Amazing what we used to download in 2 or 3 hours.