cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British yachtsmen held for a week freed by Iran

Community Veteran

British yachtsmen held for a week freed by Iran

" Five British yachtsmen held by Iran's Revolutionary Guard for a week have been released, the UK has confirmed.
The crew are said to have drifted into Iranian waters mistakenly while sailing from Bahrain to Dubai for a race.
Foreign Secretary David Miliband said they had left the island of Siri and were heading for international waters. He said he was "delighted" for the men. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8389946.stm
I didn't think it appropriate before - but now they seem to have been released, it seems to me these guys were thoroughly irresponsible getting themselves anywhere near Iranian waters.
In this day and age of satellite navigation and a host of other electronic navigational aids - they must have known they were getting close .
I'm sure the yacht would have a auxiliary diesel engine to get them out of trouble.
Surely any voyage would be planned to give these waters a very wide berth , especially if the weather forecast indicated light winds.

The skipper is reported as:
"Mr Smith works as an engineer, having completed a degree in ocean science and marine navigation at the University of Plymouth where he sailed with the men's first team."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8388668.stm
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: British yachtsmen held for a week freed by Iran

Uhmm! like many of these things, I bet there more to this than meets the eye. However, I wonder what the Iranian reaction would have been had it been had it been 5 American yachtsmen, rather than the generally "friendly" British.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

'Getting a life' is the phrase that springs to mind. I mean, what did the Iranians think the yachtsmen were going to do? Threaten national security or something?
It's just about dominance, power, giving them something to do and making the world think how clever they are. Time they grew up IMO.  Angry
Community Veteran

Who Poppy - the yachtsmen or the Iranians ?
Lurker
Grafter

They only strayed into hostile waters because their propeller was damaged/faulty. (Props on sailing vessels have mobile fins/blades that move backwards to reduce drag when they are not in use.)
There was an issue with theirs which prevented them from having anything other than wind power.
And there was no wind.
Their land crew were aware and had procured a replacement prop', and were in the process of getting the prop' out to them for replacement, but they were taken captive before this was possible.
Not sure it was as irresponsible as it might sound at first. :/
N/A

The Iranians. I just can't understand why they made such a fuss. If Iranian yachtsmen had 'strayed' into the North Sea this government would probably have invited them in and provided bread and breakfast!
Community Veteran

OK James - but they should never have gone anywhere near Iran -
and they should have had a weather forecast and taken heed of it.
Still bad planning in my book ( ex RN qualified offshore yacht  skipper, and radio navigational equipment engineer  )
Fixes: 47

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I have to agree with Mal on this one.
Knowing what the Iranian government is like it does seem irresponsible of the crew and possibly the race organisers.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I agree the race organisers have to take some responsibility, but it is still the skippers total  responsibility
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Same thing happened to an R.N. Crew if I remember.... so they should have learnt by the mistake of the "Senior Service"....
Any navigator worth his name and qualifications should have been well aware, before leaving port, of the territorial limits Iran has in place, and supplied a course well away from the "Danger Area".  As Mal0z says.... with modern satnav systems to give accurate position. course and speed, the skipper, and the navigator should have known hours in advance, of their true position, and sailed accordingly.  A broken propellor is not an excuse....