British spooks 'could hack into children's toys for spying'

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Just seen this:
Tech expert warns that 'smart toys' could be hacked in to under powers being proposed in draft Investigatory Powers Bill

Britain’s intelligence agencies could take over children’s toys and use them to spy on suspects, MPs have been told.
Antony Walker of techUK said that anything connected to the Internet could “in theory” be hacked into remotely.
The draft Investigatory Powers Bill being considered by MPs would put a legal duty on Internet providers to assist in hacking devices.
With a growing number of toys now including Internet software it would be possible for Britain’s spooks to hack them, Mr Walker suggested.
Read More here

By bold, so anything connected to the Internet could be hacked that includes that smart TV sat in the corner of your room.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: British spooks 'could hack into children's toys for spying'

Radicalized by Barbie Doll and dobbed on to the spooks by the same tool.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

they could do it but if you have an internet connected toy its far more likely it will be linked to a pc, tablet or smartphone and that's the bit they will convert to a bug, the toys might prove to be extremely useful for adding extra layers to surveillance operations but in reality they are not likely targets for government agencies due to their inherent limitations and often the inability to conduct more than one task at a time, its far more likely to be accessed by those wanting to check if your at home or stalkers than it is to be accessed by a government agency.
either way its just another reason not to have seemingly innocuous  "connected equipment" in the house
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I must say while it doesn't surprise me, i find the idea of spying on children frightening.
The government is always on about child protection, safeguarding them from abuse etc and now they want to spy on children themselves? - What happens if they activate a camera and see a child in the nude? - Does it mean its ok because they're the government and they can keep watching? - Thats a very disturbing thought.
I am sickened by the thought that childrens toys are being targetted by the government. Privacy means privacy. If they want to start invading that then the easiest thing to do is to stop using the internet. Who knows how many bent coppers etc will have access to this sort of position of abuse.
I really don't see why they're so fussed about it - any terrorist or serious criminal is going to be encrypting and taking other precautions anyway - this is simply a "spy on the public at will" measure.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CTFU75
Grafter

I remember Tony Benn saying the security services have huge files on everybody and if you write a letter to a local newspaper, suggesting a pedestrian crossing they may put down might cause trouble later.
He was approached to join and said 'I want to be an MP', they said, 'it wouldn't make any difference'.
https://vimeo.com/7589961 ;
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Although this report has a lot of "could" and not much fact the part which concerns me is why anyone would give a young child a toy with internet access
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: CarbTFU75
I remember Tony Benn saying the security services have huge files on everybody 

Last i heard it was 44,000 files they had active - but that was years ago before this mainstream internet spying thing came around. No idea what relevance your video of arthur scargill has to this topic though!
Quote from: Oldjim
the part which concerns me is why anyone would give a young child a toy with internet access

Could be a talking barbie or ken downloading new speech files maybe? or a kids toy garage downloading new sound effects? - may be even with a microphone so two kids with identical toys can play together? - who knows... but i'm sure they'll come up with something to keep the security services sweet.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CTFU75
Grafter

You have to listen to it I guess that will answer your question.