Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British only passport lanes at airports

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

British only passport lanes at airports

Theresa May wants to introduce British only passport lanes at airports.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/british-obly-lanes-uk-passport-airports/

I think it's a great idea.

We travel to Hong Kong frequently, using Hong Kong International Airport, and there are dedicated lanes for HK Citizens, which are always quick and rarely very busy.

There is a downside though, we often travel with a HK Chinese colleague, she goes straight through passport control, whilst we take a little longer, on average 30 minutes longer.

It's fine for our colleague, but she then has to wait on the other side of immigration for us to clear !!

In the UK, perhaps not too much of a problem, as most travellers will probably be UK families, unless you are married or traveling with a non UK citizen !

Comprehensive HK information, perhaps UK may be based on this model ?

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/control/clearance.htm

Actually these days, as we are frequent business visitors, we have  e-passports and  long term visas, which gives us a similar fast track through, using the e-channel service

http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2016/09/20/china-e-channel-border-crossing-service-extended-to-fo...

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: British only passport lanes at airports

The thing is, i've been to the Republic Of Ireland three times.

Really enjoyed Dublin, don't get me wrong.

Technically you don't need a passport to enter there at the moment, this may change of course in time.

I flew there those times and you have to have ID to prove who you are to get on the flight in the first place. Fair enough.

You may not need a passport to enter the country, but you need some ID to get on the flight and physically make it there. Crazy2

I wasn't brave enough to leave my Passport at home and see if my Driving License will suffice, put it that that way.

I'd be impressed if anyone made it there on a bank card or Tesco Clubcard Tongue

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 60

I'd be impressed if anyone made it there on a bank card or Tesco Clubcard Tongue

Doesn't it still need to be Photo ID ? Be interesting to see if a Bus Pass would be ok!

Community Veteran

Yep @MisterW

But after paying 100's of £ for the flights getting to the airport (losing that), being refused to board the plane and losing the hotel money (too short notice or a cheap rate with no refunds).

Up to you if you want to try it, but personally I wouldn't recommend it Tongue

John_Hull
Rising Star

We regularly fly to Denmark to visit our son, and I have seen many people use a photo driving licence as ID. Obviously that has nothing to do with moving between EU countries and everything to do with security and individual company's policies.

If you're serious about testing it, take both, and offer your Driving Licence first. I also noticed on the Ryanair booking site that you can choose what you intend using as ID (either your Passport, or your Driving Licence), so they appear to accept either (for now)

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

We used to have British passport, EU (or perhaps EEC or EC in those days), Commonwealth, and .Other' queues, at least at LHR and LGW.  The Commonwealth and Other queues merged so there was little point of having them seperately, and because the queue of EU citizens was often shorter than the 'British queue', some British passport holders used the EU lane since they were of course EU citizens, too.  The authorities tried to stop that by listing all the EU countries except the UK on the signs for the EU queue.  I once had to wait for a Norwegian passport holder to go through the UK passport gate at LHR and they've never been in the EU, the EEA didn't exist at the time, and she certainly didn't show a British passport.  The official didn't say a word about it and it only delayed me by a few minutes so no big deal.

Surely if you fly from the UK (non-Schengen) to Denmark (Schengen area) you'd need a passport or is security so lax now that anything will do?

You may remember the Labour government introduce voluntary ID cards with the intention of making them compulsory, but when one of the few 'volunteers' tried to use it to board a ferry, he was turned away.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, why not make an additional data page for every passport being issued, and laminate it for use as a handy ID card?  Simple, easy, and very cheap.

John_Hull
Rising Star

I still have the old green paper driving licence, so for me, it's a Passport, but when I book in on line, I definitely have the option of using my Passport or Driving Licence. The procedure is the same, whether I'm flying to Denmark, or to see family in Belfast.

Jonpe
Champion

Ah, so it's just for the airline, what happens when you get to Denmark (Belfast is UK so it doesn't matter)?

Fixes: 341

@Jonpe wrote:

Surely if you fly from the UK (non-Schengen) to Denmark (Schengen area) you'd need a passport or is security so lax now that anything will do?

Absolutely, if you fly to any Schengen area airport there is are separate departure / arrival gates.

Arriving from a non-schengen country you need your passport or accepted id - which I believe has to be biometric and can be read by the scanners. Therefore the british driving license would not suffice.

It feels more weird flying between schengen countries where you don't have any checks at arrivals and can just wander out of the airport.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran

I don't know why we didn't introduce ID cards, other countries have them.
However I don't think they should be mandatory.

I'd imagine the countries that do allow travel with them?

Me personally I would not feel comfortable with either a passport or official ID card.

Not plesant of course if you are refused travel or entry to a country.

Jonpe
Champion

People who are old enough to remember the war, associate ID cards with a traumatic time in their lives, and object on those grounds.  I have no strong feelings either way as long as they are sensible.  The Labour-proposed card was going to have your address and bank details etc. on it.  That would mean having to get a new one every time those changed, and since students move a lot, they would be the ones worst affected while being less able to afford it.  I don't think there should be a penalty for not having your ID card with you, but if you are stopped by the police on suspicion of something, it would save time in establshing your identity.  All that has to be worked out now is how to make them unforgeable.