cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Summer Time Starts

Community Veteran

British Summer Time Starts

It's that time of year again when we think of putting our clocks forward. It happens in the UK next Sunday, 29th March when clocks move forward one hour.
Clocks go forward
In the USA they moved their clocks forward on 8th March.
USA Time
Best way to remember the direction of the change is:
Spring Forward, Fall (Autumn) back Smiley
41 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: British Summer Time Starts

Never changed my clocks last year, won't do it this year either, nothing wrong with GMT, it's just an old thing thought up for WWII that they never scrapped, claiming it was to give the farmers more light, but not thinking that farmers could get up earlier, and in this day and age with high powered Halogen and LED lighting, extra hours of light that don't actually change according to where the hands on a clock are are a bit pointless... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

World War 1 not World War 2. Roll eyes
BST was first established by the Summer Time Act in 1916

In WW2 double BST was introduced as a temporary measure.
Community Veteran

Well, it happened in days before people used simple logic and set their alarm clocks an hour earlier, it's not needed in today's world and causes more problems than whatever it's intended to solve... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

No problems whatsoever Roll eyes Very simple really.
Community Veteran

Tell that to people who have been an hour late for work or have had car accidents from lack of decent sleep...
Fixes: 47

Many of the devices in my home where the time is available are self adjusting such as my watch, phone and computer.
I have a pendulum clock powered by a single AA battery which I will adjust, everything else either adjusts itself or it doesn't matter...like the microwave.
Oh..forgot the central heating clock...that needs a nudge.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

not to mention - as I always forget - the time stamp on the digital cameras
Community Veteran

My old digital camera almost always time-stamps pictures as the early hours of 1st Jan 1980, don't use it very often and when I do it usually requires a battery change which zeroes the time and date back to 00:00 01-01-80 and I never remember to set it before taking pictures.
I agree with 2cv that messing about with clocks is pointless and causes more trouble than it's worth.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Depends if you are a crofter in the north of Scotland I suppose, who are allegedly one of the beneficiaries of the changes.
Has anybody bothered to ask them?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

But they can pretty much do what they want at whatever time they want (relative to whatever their clock says), I doubt very much whether changing what's displayed on their clock makes one iota of difference to them.
About all they need a correctly set clock for is so they know when to switch on the TV if they don't want to miss 'Take the high road'.  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
It's that time of year again when we think of putting our clocks forward. It happens in the UK next Sunday,

Will not be putting my clocks forward next Sunday as it is the 22nd. Tongue
Community Veteran

Semantics.
Some will say that the 22nd is this Sunday and the 29th is next.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

@ w23, you've beaten me to it. Thank you.
Knowing someone would make the predictable comment I did spell it out clearly Roll eyes
It happens in the UK next Sunday, 29th March
Fixes: 125

Quote from: twocvbloke
Tell that to people who have been an hour late for work or have had car accidents from lack of decent sleep...

Considering it is usually well advertised then, unless the person was a hermit, there would be no reason not to have adjusted the clocks. Of course, if he was a hermit, he wouldn't be late for any job anyway Wink
Not sure that losing one hour's sleep in March will be the cause of any accidents. If anyone is concerned they could always go to sleep an hour earlier Wink Or make up for it when the clocks go back Roll eyes
It doesn't really bother me either way. We'd still get the same amount of daylight just at slightly different times Smiley
Quote from: w23
Semantics.
Some will sat that the 22nd is this Sunday and the 29th is next.

+1 Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still