cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Rail Abandons Dining Cars

Community Veteran

British Rail Abandons Dining Cars

On Friday the last of the full dining car service was removed from British Rail.
Dining Cars
I can always remember the pleasure of having dinner on a long journey especially in the Pullman car.  Back to a British Rail cheese sandwich I guess or really splash out and take the Orient Express.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: British Rail Abandons Dining Cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I remember when i was litte nearly all trains had a buffet car where you could walk along to and buy food and drink. That faded out by the time i was 7 / 8 which i've always missed. Now you're lucky to see someone push a trolley along struggling to get through the gangway offering a limited selection.
We went on a virgin hi speed train a few years ago (repainted intercity iirc) from London to Stoke-on-Trent to pickup a car and to my surprise it had a buffet car. It was incredible it was such a nice experience to be able to get up and walk along the train with a purpose rather than just sitting there bored.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'm not referring to buffet cars which I assume may still be staying.  The dining cars offered a 5 star service with food as good as a West End hotel.  Not cheap though Sad
Fixes: 125

Were dining cars limited to first class passengers?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I certainly used them when travelling 2nd class.  It was a bonus to be able to go into a dining car and use the luxurious seating without paying a premium for it Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Were dining cars limited to first class passengers?

I've also used them travelling 2nd class, but you normally had to go second sitting.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I'm not referring to buffet cars which I assume may still be staying.

I never said you were. I just thought while we were on the topic of train catering i would chime in with my experiences and no they won't be staying because as i said they've virtually all gone too - hence my remark about the trolley service.
Community Veteran

Guess they have trolley dollies on Virgin trains do they Grin Grin
Community Veteran

lol
No, the virgin train we went on is the first time i'd seen a buffet car in over 20 years! I was shocked.. it was very nice and made the whole journey a lot more reliable.
They've completely vanished from the normal domestic train services though - which do have the trolleys.
gswindale
Grafter

I should of course point out that British Rail abandonded Dining Cars by 1997 when it ran it's last service.
What has now happened is the last franchise operator has removed Dining Cars.