cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Gas

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

British Gas

Has anyone who is a BG customer checked to see how much they are in credit on their accounts?
I'm a dual fuel customer and noticed I was in quite a good credit position with my gas so I phoned up about getting a refund. They did that and not only that but they refunded me more than I had in credit on my electricity account AND reduced the direct debit!
So in 4 working days I'll have a nice large refund in my account
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: British Gas

If it's anything like my water bill the reduction will be short lived.
I twice demanded they refund the plus amount on my account and both times they refunded they also reduced the monthly payment.
But as soon as the account fell behind, even by a couple of pounds, up went the payments to the previous silly level.
Which again lead to an inevitable unacceptable surplus. Somethings obviously wrong with the program that calculates payments.
So now I pay every six months exactly and only the amount I owe.
Instead of them pretending they are my unofficial savings account with free loans for them.
Community Veteran

They also muttered something about my meter readings and how there were too many estimates.
I pointed out that IF they keep sending a man round to read my meters then why then email me asking for a reading. They told me that those meter readings don't fit in with their "bill cycles" so they ignore them..... so apparently we're paying for a team of people to wander round the country making meter readings for no apparent reason.
As for the DD amounts - I'm quite sure they'll mess around with them again but it does amaze me just how obviously wrong their algorithms are
Community Veteran

I used to be with BG and I changed my DD payments on their website. I was in the red for years before I moved two or three months ago. They never put my DD up.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ovo Energy pays you 3% interest on a positive balance, when you consider the average savings account is about 0.1 to 0.5%, you're better off with Ovo... Cool
Roberto0151
Grafter

Agreed. I have also found Ovo very good for customer communications.
Community Veteran

Had a note on my latest online BG bill to say it was more than a year since an accurate reading was taken (I always give them meter readings when asked). A reply said this doesn't conform with the expected reading, would I check it again, which I did.
I then received a personal email from customer services (they're improving) could I please copy the meter serial number to them, again I did as requested.
Then a looking worried appearing email said that the serial number was not what was expected, would I please photograph it and attach it in reply, which I did. In the mean time my online bill was changed from £80 debit to £266 credit.
Another email was received asking for the history of the fitting of the meter (it was an emergency change almost exactly a year ago due to a meter fault, done by Network Power) it seems that NP and BG don't talk to one another as the details were not forwarded to BG.
Whilst waiting for this comedy of errors to be sorted out my online bill changed for the third time to just shy of £800 credit.
Everything went quiet for a week, then yesterday morning the usual BG email arrived to tell me that my latest bill can be viewed on the BG website. It was now £148 debit, which was in line with what I expected, I quickly paid it before they changed their mind again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Not sure who is responsible updating ecoes
ECOES (Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service) is a system that provides a centralised view of all 32 million MPANs, updated daily by all 19 electricity Distributor Network Operators and every Meter Operator throughout GB. ECOES is as up to date as all of the source systems.

The data provided includes:
    Full current Supplier Registration details
    Supplier liability history going back to 1998, which also includes failed and pending Registrations
    Meter Operator appointment history
    Current and historic Meter history, including installation date and Meter type
    Metering Point address and other DNO data

Keep meaning to look my record up since learning that the general public has limited access.