cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Gas rep coming today to advise on new combi boiler any advice welcomed

tgr
Grafter

British Gas rep coming today to advise on new combi boiler any advice welcomed

I realise these guys prob work on commission so he prob will go for as much as he thinks i can bear.  Anyone had any dealing with these people advice and tactics welcomed
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: British Gas rep coming today to advise on new combi boiler any advice welcomed

get at least two other quotes from independent fitters before agreeing to anything
hadden
Grafter

Re: British Gas rep coming today to advise on new combi boiler any advice welcomed

Have you checked if any grant is available to you?
There is also plenty of info if you want to be pre-armed with some jargon.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Last year MIL's boiler packed up, she got 3 quotes, One from British Gas (first) then two other quotes from independent fitters.
She then went back to British Gas with the "independent fitter" quotes; British Gas matched the lowest and gave her a 'years free homecare'.
itsme
Grafter

Is a combi boiler suitable for your house? What is the mains pressure and how many bathrooms have you got?
Community Veteran

I second the comments from Oldjim.  Get some quotes from local installers as well.  I obtained a quote from BG and they were much more expensive than my other quotes.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

My mother had a boiler replaced by BG. She didn't want quotes from anyone other than what she still thinks of as the Gas Board. They came in with a super high quote applied some discounts and freebies to arrive at a "bargain" figure. She paid over £3000 for the replacement. I checked the retail price of the parts and they were of the order of £1000. One man did the job in less than two days (plus a couple of hours from an electrician, and a few minutes from a builder to brick up the flue hole).
The salesman lost the deposit cheque. The Warm Front application was supplied in my name. (I had contacted the sales team on behalf of my aged mother but she had signed the order. I am not quite so aged and do not live with my mother) I had to chase for the CORGI certificate after the job was done. The project manager was virtually impossible to contact. The annual maintenance check was not performed as part of the "free" one year service contract as "the initial installation would have been checked" - which it wasn't other than by the original fitter. So as the boiler itself was under warranty the "free" cover didn't cover much.
The new boiler developed a circuit board fault after about two years fortunately covered by a paid for service contract. The old "inefficient" boiler lasted 25+ years without any fault. The new time control is audible whirring away. The 25+ year old one was perfectly silent. Fitter drilled hole through kitchen worktop to allow condensate pipe to run into washing machine waste pipe. The sawdust went straight down the pipe and first time my mother used her washing machine the kitchen flooded,
Don't accept on trust any claims for savings made with new more efficient boiler. Salesman claimed pay back cost within a few years. Using the available efficiency figures for Mum's old and new boiler I calculated 30+ years to payback and that was without taking into account the loss of interest that the money would have earned if it had been deposited instead of spent on the new boiler.
itsme
Grafter

I believe someone posted on these forums that for a condensing boiler to run efficient it has to be run at a lower temperature.
nadger
Rising Star

@ alanf - you've puzzled me with references to both BG and Warm Front as the two aren't related.
Warm Front
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: itsme
I believe someone posted on these forums that for a condensing boiler to run efficient it has to be run at a lower temperature.

It's illegal to install a non-condensing boiler.
Supposedly more efficient.
The flue of a condensing boiler will emit a large amount of water vapour - apparently the fire service used to get lots of calls for house fires. Smiley

pierre_pierre
Grafter

they did say that, But I have an HNC in heat engineering and could not get a straight answer about how he got a room temperature
It is not illegal to fit a non condensing boiler, some situations it is impossible
itsme
Grafter

One reason for an efficiency drop is because the design and/or implementation of the heating system gives return water (heat transfer fluid) temperatures at the boiler of over 55°C, which prevents significant condensation in the heat exchanger.[3] Better education of both installers and owners could be expected to raise efficiency towards the reported laboratory values. Natural Resources Canada[4] also suggests ways to make better use of these boilers, such as combining the space and water heating systems. Some boilers (e.g. Potterton) can be switched between two flow temperatures such as 63 degrees Celsius and 84 degrees Celsius, only the former being "fully condensing". However, the boilers are normally installed with the higher flow temperature by default because a domestic hot water cylinder is generally heated to 60 degrees Celsius, and this takes too long to achieve with a flow temperature only three degrees higher. Nevertheless, even partial condensing is more efficient than a traditional boiler.

When I have to replace my boiler I was not going for the combi option but replacing it with a condensing conventional boiler. Reading the above it look like it's not the best option. But as I normally heat my water by electric at economy 7 rates I have backed down the temperature the boiler has to heat the tank to 50 to 55. So could get away with a 63 water flow rate temperature. 
nadger
Rising Star

Our conventional boiler died recently so, as we have hot water tank etc, we'll stick with a non combi boiler. At least we've now been able use immersion heater so still have hot water.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nadger
@ alanf - you've puzzled me with references to both BG and Warm Front as the two aren't related.

The scheme seems to be run differently now. At that time. BG supplied a form for Mum to complete. BG submitted it and the grant was deducted from the bill.
David_W
Rising Star

Boilers are evil.  The lady upstairs in our flat (2 years old) did something to her boiler and it would let out this horrific loud whistling type of noise.  It was loud in my flat so in hers it must have drove her insane(er).  Wasn't until we complained that an engineer was sent out, they couldn't repair it because bits were missing!  Of course, to compensate for the loud noise she played loud music.......
Our thermostat though seems to be in the middle of the apartment, in an enclosed space, so we have to ramp up the temps (25 degrees) to keep warm in the winter, not sure how efficient a boiler is in some cases really.