Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Gas ... do my nut in

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

British Gas ... do my nut in

Im on a fixed deal with British Gas and paying a monthly fee which was agreed over 6 months ago to be at the same price each month for 12 months.

This morning i get an e-mail saying from next month my fixed fee will go up by £20 a month, so i checked some other energy sites and got some quotes and they were showing me the same price as ill be paying from next month.

So have prices gone up ? and are British Gas allowed to take more than what was agreed for the 12 months, bearing in mind im not using anymore energy infact we been using less.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
19 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Have energy firms raised their prices ?

Don't know about Gas we don't have it but it does say here https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/gas-and-electricity.html

if you are on a fixed deal prices won't rise until the deals end.

nadger
Rising Star

I'm on a 2 year EON deal that expires next January.

This means that unit price for gas and electric is fixed but DD can vary in an attempt to leave a zero balance at end of each account year.

St3
All Star

Ive just spoken to British Gas they said they bumped up my fee just incase i owe them by the time im due to finish my fixed deal lol

Even tho they agreed my account clearly shows im using less than i was predicted to use and that im also in credit lol

What a stupid firm .... i could understand it if i was using more.......... 

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Have you got one of them so called smart meters ?
They have probably charged you for it 😝
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
All Star

Yes i got one 5 months ago and its been fine, they just trying to get more coin from me to make intrest off. I told them to **** off Wink

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 47

I'm on an Npower 'dual fuel fixed until April 2018' deal and my monthly direct debit does vary a couple of times over the year.

Npower adjusted it up saying I wasn't paying enough and would be in debit by the end of term.

Then they adjusted it down saying I was paying too much Huh

I just let them get on with it as it all balances out at the end of term.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I am with extraenergy, fixed deal until next October, monthly DD for dual fuel deal was £ 77.

End of march I owed them £12. The next DD showing on my bank statement was for £ 97. Not even a email to inform me of the increase, thing is I will use less over the summer months so end up being a fair bit in credit.

They don't mind having your money but do not like it even if you owe them a few pounds.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I was with NP they wanted to up my payments last year, I disagreed. End of the term this year they owed me £13!
Luzern
Pro

Re: British Gas ... do my nut in

St3 wrote:

Im on a fixed deal with British Gas and paying a monthly fee which was agreed over 6 months ago to be at the same price each month for 12 months.

This morning i get an e-mail saying from next month my fixed fee will go up by £20 a month, so i checked some other energy sites and got some quotes and they were showing me the same price as ill be paying from next month.

So have prices gone up ? and are British Gas allowed to take more than what was agreed for the 12 months, bearing in mind im not using anymore energy infact we been using less.

How was that monthly cost agreed, and on what consumption information? if your fuel usage appeared to be out of kilter with what was expected, I could understand a revision. That said, the estimates that companies use are often crude.

Because of that I keep very detailed records over a long period,for use as ammunition, should I need it. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 121

I had a similar issue as the OP both with BG and, subsequently, First Utility.

Each occasion I rang them and told them to reduce the DD back to it's original value which they did. Each time I moved supplier they owed me money which I got back in due course.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m on a dual fuel fixed deal with EDF..... I pay monthly by bank transfer.... they send me an email, when the next "regular payment is due"... and I send them a meter reading.... ( see I`m just as smart as their smart reader ! ! )... two days or less, later they send me an email saying my amended bill is ready to view.... I log in to my account... see the bill and log into my bank. and send them the money...

I could avoid all that hassle, and save myself a pound a week, they say.. by going on direct debit... but ....it`s MY money, and I like to keep it in MY bank until they ask for it.... not the other way around...

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@shutter  That's pretty much how I do things, except it's quarterly and with a different supplier.

My gas account was with British Gas when I moved to this address but I changed it to my electricity supplier whose service was far superior and prices lower.

As I understand it energy suppliers are known for increasing DDs for no reason, and for not automatically refunding any overpayment when a customer moves to another supplier.

St3
All Star

I think they take extra so they make intrest off it Wink

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

I had a similar problem with my water (bill). So now I only pay what I owe them every six months.

I asked them a couple of times to reduce the monthly payments but after a few months they would bump it back up with an extra £20. Twenty seems a common theme, makes you wonder why that is.

Anyway it always ended up them owing me £50-£60 and I got fed up demanding they hand over my money. So now I think it's far better that they have to send a bill and wait for payment.