cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Antarctic Survey in trouble - I haven't seen this in the regular press

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

British Antarctic Survey in trouble - I haven't seen this in the regular press

http://www.cfact.org/2014/08/07/british-antartctic-survey-trapped-without-power-during-record-cold-5...;
Thirteen members of the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) were trapped and in danger of freezing to death when their base, Halley VI, lost power.  Power went down on July 30th and is now partially restored.  The BAS waited to report the incident until power came back up, however now reports that the incident was so serious that all science activities have been suspended and emergency contingency plans to abandon some of Halley’s eight modules and attempt to shelter in a remaining few have been prepared.
The incident is particularly serious, as the station is likely completely cut off from rescue for months.  The incident occurred during the height of the Antarctic winter while southern sea ice is at or near record highs (Marc Morano has details at Climate Depot).
One Survey member, Anthony Lister, managed to send a out a “tweet” when power came back up, reporting that the outage occurred while the station was experiencing record cold temperatures of -55.4° C (-67.72° F).
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: British Antarctic Survey in trouble - I haven't seen this in the regular press

Seems a bit strange, that they only have one source of electricity... you would expect an organisation like that to have at least one other source... e.g insulated battery, solar, wind, or even another generator just to send out a distress call ...
WTF
Grafter

Re: British Antarctic Survey in trouble - I haven't seen this in the regular press

It's only August: surely there's time to fly out some generators for them before winter sets in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@WTF is that intended as humorous
August is midwinter in Antarctica  Smiley Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
WTF
Grafter

Ooops!
Of course it is!
Not humorous: simply dumb Wink
Community Veteran

andy and co may joke I should move there since I hate the summer heat Smiley
Infinity
Pro

Daily Mail to the Rescue !!
Being in the Press that is...

British scientists stranded in freezing Antarctic research station when power failed as temperatures hit a record low of minus 55C
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719796/British-scientists-stranded-freezing-Antarctic-resea...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Correction..... PlusCom... AND the Daily Mail... to the rescue !  ... !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

seem to remember we had coal fires, and cooked on coal, the stove make was an  "ESSE" one of the jobs of the 'gash hand' was to keep the fires in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Unreliable diesel generators. They should have a 600 gram lump of plutonium in the corner of the room. Wrapped in tinfoil it won't give out radioactive emissions (alpha particles only) and it will not break down, giving a steady heat source for the next 100,000 years.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@AlaricAdair,
Plutonium wrapped in tinfoil, sounds like that's my answer to all those expensive energy bills, must have a look on ebay they are bound to have it.
Smiley Smiley Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As to the original topic not appearing in the press or on the news that comes as no surprise to me as trivia appears more important than proper news , what I mean by trivia is who is having an affair with who, amazing people are interested in such rubbish.
Infinity
Pro

There was an interesting TV programme a short while ago about the Antarctic Research Station, can't remember what the programme was though.
BBC info from 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21341044
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

update http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_bas/news/news_story.php?id=2733
Date: 12 Aug 2014
The 13 members of staff at Halley Research Station continue to remain safe and well following the power-down incident on 30 July 2014.
The power-down was caused by a large coolant leak from the main arterial pipe in the station heating system which led to the generators overheating and shutting down.
After the initial incident, the Halley team worked round-the-clock and was able to restore power and some heating to the station.
At present the power supply is being kept at a stable load while the Halley technical team continue to check, test and re-enable engineering systems on the station. 
The leak in the main arterial pipe is beyond repair, so the coolant in the heating system has been drained down.  Access to the pipe has been very difficult because of very low outside temperatures (at times minus 55 degrees centigrade).  Scientific instruments that are used for atmospheric research remain switched off so that the electrical energy can be used to heat the living accommodation.
Community Veteran

Sounds like too many scientists and not enough engineers IMHO  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra