747 02.png

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: British Airways retire their 747`s

Any idea why?

Not caught up on that news yet.

Like me just getting old I suppose - but with me being around a lot longer. I do remember though when then had to do some work on the runway/s at Heathrow to allow for the extra weight of them when landing (obviously).

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I think it's because of the drop in passenger numbers which has highlighted financial considerations, coupled with the fact it much cheaper to fly 2 engine a/c instead of 4. BA made most of the 747 pilots redundant a few months ago.

Shame I think they are cracking looking a/c and have been in service almost 50yrs.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

As far as I can recall, from reading earlier reports... the 747 is "old tech" now... and not so efficient in flight as the more modern planes , in particular the AIRBUS 330 NEO  planes.. which seem to be selling quite well.

The Dutch Airline.. KLM have retired their 747 fleet... last one was only 29 yrs old... gone to the  desert airfield in the USA... !

Why desert?   well because it`s hot and dry climate will preserve the aircraft for longer, "just in case",... someone wants to buy one  ! ! ..

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8818277/Two-British-Airways-Boeing-747s-Heathrow-time.html

The CARGO versions are still busy though.....   so, maybe there`s hope for those in the desert storages.... to be converted...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Maybe they could use one for the US presidential jet as a sort of extra, after all they are both getting on in years!

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 147

I thought he already had TWO and AFAIK they're still 747's

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

Well OK, he could have three then.

A standby for the standby for those "known unknowns" that nobody knows about. 😆

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Mayfly wrote:

I think it's because of the drop in passenger numbers which has highlighted financial considerations, coupled with the fact it much cheaper to fly 2 engine a/c instead of 4.

Shame I think they are cracking looking a/c and have been in service almost 50yrs.

Just realised it was over 13 years ago that I took my first journey on a B747 and thought it was pretty cool then. Even more cool was flying on the upper deck. But for me the trip on the A380 beat it.

As for the 'new' boy in town - the A350. Might not carry as many passengers as the B747 but the range is where the Airbus A350-1000 has the 747 beaten. The newer engines, winglets, and composite design allows the A350 to fly over 1,000 more nautical miles than 747. This is doubly impressive when you see that the A350 carries 100,000l less fuel than the 747.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

There are already new 747 - 8 series being modified to replace the older 747s currently serving as presidential transport - they where ordered before Covid 19 decimated the aviation industry.

They where built but never delivered to the original customer.
Highlighted
Pro

My first 747 flight was a non-stop LHR to KaiTak.  What an experience. To remember this experience I spent months with a 35mm camera trying to get a decent photo of a Cathay Pacific 747. Finally cracked it with the plane feet off the runway, wheels still down and with the sunlight on it against a black Manchester sky.

One evening after wook I popped into the pub and a friend of mine was looking very downcast. Asked why he said he had a new job, which sounded like good news. What is it and what's the problem I asked. He said it was to be a pilot for BA.  He then admitted he had seen the advert and replied BUT he had never in his life been in an aeroplane!!  I went to the phone and made a quick call. Off we go. I took him for a flight with a good friend in a night freight flight in a Piper Aztec.  He recently retired after a long career as a senior captain on 747s.  Previously worked for British Gas.....!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Lucky he wouldn't have been allowed to visit the cockpit during the approach to Kai Tak; it might have put him off becoming a pilot.  It was supposed to be one of the most difficult, and probably the most unusual, approaches there is.  I'll let you look it up if you're not already familiar with it but it went something like this:  Look out for a red and white checkerboard on a hillside, once sighted do a low altitude (600 ft!) 47 deg. right turn for a short final approach.  Videos are also available on Youtube.