cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Airways Fiasco

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

British Airways Fiasco

Not sure if I fell asleep and was dreaming, Thought I heard on the 3:00 am news that the BA computer problem was caused by ransomware, anyone else hear it?

14 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: British Airways Fiasco

More likely the outsourcing of IT to India, losing dedicated knowledgeable 700 strong UK workforce.

"Problems" dealt with by some bloke called "Dave", with a strong undecipherable accent, working off a script, with not a clue on how IT works, and little knowledge of British Geography nor colloquialisms.

Lack of standby Electricity Generator, if indeed power outage was conveniently to blame

No Food, very little water for the thousands of stranded passengers

No beds, two European airports Munich  & CDG have thousands of standby camp beds

CDGCDG MunichMunichMunichMunich

A PR Disaster

No backup plan. No contingency plan for looking after passengers

Totally inexperienced new Spanish Boss, not a clue how to deal with the situation.

"Tell them nothing, don't explain" culture

Oh, and let's stop feeding passengers to save money !!

We stopped using BA years ago, we far prefer the Far Eastern Airlines, such as Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific, and various US Carriers.

And...... we don't use any company that outsources support to a foreign country

Barclays lost accounts worth millions when they did this.....

Just a bad experience every time.....

(How do you spell Leeds ?)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4549262/British-Airways-faces-record-150m-compensation-payou...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4550644/British-Airways-chaos-cost-cutting-blame.html

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

this is from a reply in the Times

From the IT rumour mill we have this:

Allegedly, the staff at the Indian data centre were told to apply some security fixes to the computers in the data centre. The BA IT systems have two, parallel systems to cope with updates. What was supposed to happen was that they apply the fixes to the computers of the secondary system, and when all is working, apply to the computers of the primary system. In this way, the programs all keep running without any interruption.

What they actually did was apply the patches to _all_ the computers. Then they shutdown and restarted the entire data centre. Unfortunately, computers in these data centres are used to being up and running for lengthy periods of time. That means, when you restart them, components like memory chips and network cards fail. Compounding this, if you start all the systems at once, the power drain is immense and you may end up with not enough power going to the computers - this can also cause components to fail. It takes quite a long time to identify all the hardware that failed and replace it. 

So the claim that it was caused by "power supply issues" is not untrue. Bluntly - some idiot shut down the power.

Would this have happened if outsourcing had not be done? Probably not, because prior to outsourcing you had BA employees who were experienced in maintaining BA computer systems, and know without thinking what the proper procedures are. To the offshore staff, there is no context, they've no idea what they're dealing with - it's just a bunch of computers that need to be patched. Job done, get bonus for doing it quickly, move on.

Infinity
Pro

That's a great and totally believable scenario OJ

Welcome back.

Community Veteran

@Oldjim thanks for the times info. Good to see you back.

Tata Consultancy strikes again?

Minivanman
Hero

My niece has been stuck at Heathrow for hours trying to get a short haul flight to Greece to see my brother. As far as I can tell she is still there, but at least she has not got a couple of kiddies with her. 

Nightmare. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Alex Cruz, the cost cutting CEO of BA seeks to garner support by sending out an Email to his employees "either you are with us or you are not.... come and volunteer at Heathrow or Gatwick"  Such an excellent motivational method when he's probably already hated by them all for slashing  service quality and IT staff.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's only the same kind of thing we brits also do.

Look at Cameron with his "We're all in this together" speech.. cut as much as he could and did as much profiteering as possible for him and his chums.

I don't really think you can blame the spaniard for his ways when we're the experts in screwing people over.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Compensation claims & other costs £150 million

Savings by outsourcing 700 IT jobs to Tata India... £50 million ?

Damage to reputation and loss of future business..... £100 million+ ?

Sound like a policy by Dianne Abbot !!

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Presumably, if the error was by Tata, BA will be claiming compensation from them - and seriously looking at ways to avoid a reoccurance?

John
Community Veteran

More likely, the power failure caused the uncontrolled power-down of servers following the failure of a generator start-up. In some circumstances this can lead to file/database corruption on the affected servers and makes restarting the system a complex issue. This restart process can be slowed if the available support staff lack sufficient knowledge.

It is possible to build fault tolerant systems. That knowledge has been around for decades, but the necessary hardware, software and program development tends to be more expensive than "resilient" systems. I was leading a team developing fault tolerant trading systems for Big Bang in the City mid 1980's.  

However, even large expenditure doesn't guarantee a working system. In the Michael Fish Hurricane (1987) I donned hill walking kit and walked the five miles to work at 7am to coordinate efforts to make sure our trading system was working, wading flooding, dodging flying debris etc. The computers were working fine despite power cuts, the generators worked (we did power down testing once every three months). Sadly not enough traders turned up because fallen trees blocked the routes from their posh country houses and the Stock Exchange closed that day.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Pro

A contractor employee's fault it seems, just like a cleaner pulling the plug on a life support machine. Unbelievable!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I guess BA are too cheap to use an uninterrruptable power supply system just incase a muppet unplugs something, even I have UPS units between socket and computer... Funny

Community Veteran

Rumour has it that the bloke in fact disconnected the UPS!