Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British AA Alkaline Batteries comparison Testing website

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

British AA Alkaline Batteries comparison Testing website

AA Alkaline Batteries comparison Testing website, and it's British.
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/index.html
25 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: British AA Alkaline Batteries comparison Testing website

You test little AA batteries at a continuous discharge of 1 ampHuh  Crazy Crazy Crazy
You are bound to get silly results.
Even a continuous 200mA is unrealistic.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK

I always thought Alkaline batteries were over rated to be honest and looking at that chart I see why! The problem is you can rarely find Lithium batteries in a lot of stores and if you can they're not cheap!
Quote from: Un
You test little AA batteries at a continuous discharge of 1 ampHuh  Crazy Crazy Crazy
You are bound to get silly results.

For motorised stuff it 200mA is very realistic. Don't forget although the cells are usually C size, cordless drills can easily draw 1 Amp under load.
Now Energizer seemed to do quite well but I noticed that Duracell (a dying breed) didn't fare very well. What on earth happened to Ever Ready? They used to be a big brand when I was young and they've just vanished!
EDIT: Just had my memory jogged and confirmed via wikipedia that Ever Ready is now Energizer. Shame, I preferred the ER logo.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

These are not my tests !

I buy my AA Lithiums in bulk from the States @ £1.10 each, with a 15 year shelf life.
Lithiums score best in high discharge situations, in lower consumption, the results are not quite so dramatic.

I have high powered AA Cree torches that consume around 1,000ma.
In fact 1,200ma to 1,490ma. Just checking my measured runtime graphs.
Runtime 2-3 hours depending on torch. Bright enough to light up a street !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Does anyone know if the ones from Poundland (large pack - something like 16 for £1) are 'up to standard'?
I have avoided these so far in case they're cheap copies or similar.
I bought a set of Energizer Lithium once for my old camera - they didn't last very long so I'd be tempted to just but lots of cheap ones if they're not too bad.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Infinity
Pro

For a digital camera I recommend LSD niMh rechargeables.
(Low Self Discharge)
Low internal resistance, and able to supply more power for longer.
Don't use normal niMh rechargeables, they will self discharge unused very quickly, a month or two after charging, for use in a camera.
If you want to try cheapy ones, do just that, try them, see how many pics with flash you get, then remove the batteries immediately before they leak.
Not recommended at all.
Community Veteran

Good point about leakage, it wouldn't be good to save a couple of quid on a pack of batteries if they did leak and ruined an expensive piece of kit (or even an inexpensive one).  I'll probably stick to the Tesco ones for general use (mouse, clocks, remote controls etc.).  By the way, Tesco charge £2 for a pack of 4 and £2.85 for a pack of 8 (when I last looked).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Infinity
Pro

These are not my tests !

I buy my AA Lithiums in bulk from the States @ £1.10 each, with a 15 year shelf life.
Lithiums score best in high discharge situations, in lower consumption, the results are not quite so dramatic.

I have high powered AA Cree torches that consume around 1,000ma.
In fact 1,200ma to 1,490ma. Just checking my measured runtime graphs.
Runtime 2-3 hours depending on torch. Bright enough to light up a street !

My mains / battery powered DAB radios (For power cuts) consume 180ma, when used on battery power, from AA batteries.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: w23
Good point about leakage, it wouldn't be good to save a couple of quid on a pack of batteries if they did leak and ruined an expensive piece of kit (or even an inexpensive one).  I'll probably stick to the Tesco ones for general use (mouse, clocks, remote controls etc.).  By the way, Tesco charge £2 for a pack of 4 and £2.85 for a pack of 8 (when I last looked).

Keep an eye on your local Superdrug, they often have offers on own brand Alkalines, AA & AAA.
4+4 AAA alkalines for £1 recently. (exp Dec 2016)
80x AAA for £10
And they're good quality, I've tested them for my own benefit.
Community Veteran

4+4

That would be..... 8 then.  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
Infinity
Pro

Yes, packaged as 4 Plus 4 Free.
Bought April 2012, exp Dec 2016

Tesco 8x AAA bought just before Superdrug offer, £2.40.
exp Dec 2016
Community Veteran

Quote from: Un

Agreed, mostly that 1A discharge to not likely for the vast majority of battery operated devices, but the shape of those charts will look mostly the same for most discharge rates, just the scale on the X axis would change.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Infinity
Pro

If you compare the charts on the website, and it's been well known for a while, the advantage of using Lithium AA is less obvious, at lower power consumptions.
But their shelf life is much longer, around 15+ years.
Lithiums also weigh a lot less than equivalent Alkalines

I have had an interest in ( and knowledge of )  batteries, and high powered torches for a few years now.
Also designed low powered long life (12 months+) LED torches with a night glow feature, for PP3 (9v) and AA battery types for my own use.
Dotted around the house. Switchable low / high power.
itsme
Grafter

Lithium batteries have a low internal impedance and has little affect on the ability to supply the rated capacity. Using the graphs the lithium battery seem to have a capacity of 2800mAh at both loadings. Where the alkaline battery capacity is 1100mAh at 1A load and 1800mAh at 200mA load. 
Infinity
Pro

My US Energizer L91 AA Lithiums are rated at 3,000mah.
So not much difference there.