Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Britannia back? Let's hope not.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Britannia back? Let's hope not.

This lady must have lost her marbles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/19/theresa-may-opens-door-to-recommissioning-of-royal-yacht-...

The thought of bringing back this floating white elephant as some sort of post Brexit 'rule Britannia' jolly makes me despair. As somebody suggested, maybe we should rename it HMS Queeny McQueenface and invade India while we are at it.

Madness, and all for what, a £100m?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Britannia back? Let's hope not.

The first step would be to consult the Queen. Does she now want a yacht?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I suppose it depends on the scope of its use.

Would if be used as a floating hotel for British delegates?

A place for all meetings and negotiations?

And would the costs include necessary army personnel and the ship being fitted with some discrete armaments which would probably be a must in this terrorist and pirate age.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In the article in today's Telegraph it says that the Britainnnia helped secure £3 billion in trade deals between 1991 and 1995. She's a proven asset which would pay for herself and should never have been decommissioned. Oh but I forgot the EU has been doing our trade deals not!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So... she has done a "williamson turn" then......

2 days ago... this was the report...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-royal-yacht-britannia-boris-johnson-brexit_uk_57df...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

The first step would be to consult the Queen. Does she now want a yacht?

Yacht? Thats a flaming great ship.

As for our lovely lady PM she's either completely crackers or extremely smart. I'm still undecided on which it is but bringing a ship back into service after 19 years seems a bit crazy.. unless it's the aircraft carriers, hovercraft or anything else that had a serious british image. A floating ship with a civilian use / name .. well like I said she's either crazy or incredibly smart.

Interesting times..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Pro

I'm for smart. Seems to me all the ideas like grammar schools and you name it may be to content the Brexitopaths and the unwashed. Keep em quiet and get on with the main job. it's a sort of 'bread and circuses'.Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

PeterLoftus wrote:
In the article in today's Telegraph it says that the Britainnnia helped secure £3 billion in trade deals between 1991 and 1995. She's a proven asset which would pay for herself and should never have been decommissioned. Oh but I forgot the EU has been doing our trade deals not!

I fully agree. It was a major asset in securing many trade deals.

Minivanman
Hero

Well that seems to be the line that the 'anti Brexit sour grapes won't let it drop' Guardian is taking.

Must be excruciating for them to report on such things as the post-referendum data defying their own gloomy UK predictions. How on earth can there be any connection with those like myself that voted in favour of ditching the EU when both the recommissioning of that white elephant and Grammar schools have been kicking around for years.

Nothing to do with me guv.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/21/royal-yacht-britannia-should-not-rise-again

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

@artmo

Perhaps and probably it was to some extent, but I think if you check Hansard, the Queen, her sprogs and her flunkies used it far more than any trade delegation. Tried to get some figures on the total cost of buying and maintaining the thing (thank the stars for people like Paul Flynn MP) along with the expense of hosting those Windsor sojourns and the figures are hard to come by and what 'trade' uses there have only to have been allowed in its latter years - in an effort I suspect to deflect some well deserved criticism.

Do other countries use such floating extravagances to sell their wares? Seriously, I don't think so.  

Forward with the proletariat! Wink

Community Veteran

More info in the Telegraph today! Rear Admiral Neil Rankin chairman of the charity which operates the Britannia in Leith says a new Royal Yacht is the way to go and he should know having been the captain of HMS Ark Royal. The old Britannia required a crew of 260 RN ratings while a modern ship would do with 60 to 70, also the old Britannia was manned by RN volunteers paid by the MOD. 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Even when the Queen was using Britannia it was still a floating exhibition centre. The Queen would often host trade delegations.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Be interesting to know how much profit it  makes these days in it's current location from visitors ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

artmo wrote:

Even when the Queen was using Britannia it was still a floating exhibition centre. The Queen would often host trade delegations.

I think you mean expensive royal worshipping dinner parties - at the cost of the tax payer no doubt.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

It's a non profit making Trust venture, making just enough to stop the old girl keeling over!

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/plan-your-visit/royal-yacht-blog/blog/2014/january/a-bumper-yea...