cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brisbane floods

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Brisbane floods

I just came across these before and after pictures http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm
This blog raises some interesting questions about culpability http://joannenova.com.au/2011/01/science-played-by-politicians/
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Brisbane floods

maybe when they rebuild they'll have the good sense to put their houses on stilts and keep a boat out back.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a typical Queensland house is built on stilts, this makes the house cooler in the summer as well, my son lives on his home built one in Arlie Beach, the trouble was some of the floods around Brisbane got higher than the stils
this is a typical one

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In some places in europe they now build their property on big plastic tanks which float. The idea being that if a flood hits the house will float on top of the water. It's also done with caravans too.
With the way our climate is going living on the water is really the only viable way forward.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Can't imagine caravans make very good floatation devices Undecided........Oh, sorry I see what you mean Lips are sealed
Maybe we should all invest in a house boat.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I can't imagine floating caravans or houses being very stable... and god only knows how the utilities would integrate into such a house...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Flexible cable and flexible pipe. If you imagine earth quakes and underground pipes and cables also not being a great mix perhaps you can see the advantages.
Just because it isn't common place here doesn't mean its a bad or impractical idea guys. Out in some places in europe its common practice and works very well for them. If you've got a large wooden house and the entire surface underneath is covered with large plastic tanks of course it will be stable. It's not just a large sheet of wood on top of loose plastic bottles. It's a structure, with beams and supports (like all buildings) which make it rigid. The air tanks are then fitted to the structure making it all stable.
@Strat: Actually they do. I was fascinated by the idea when I first saw it on TV purely because I've always been interested in the unusual-but-cool ideas and this was definitely up there in the top 10. They basically bolt air tanks onto the bottom of the caravan and when the water level rises so does the caravan on top of the water. It's held in place by anchor so it won't drift too far (obviously it will drift a few feet with the chain slack). I don't know about a houseboat as we don't really have rivers in many places in the UK large enough and therefore moving would be problematic (so pointless having a boat) but certainly making floating housing couldn't be a bad idea although how you define the difference between the 2 is another matter lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!