Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit Revisited

Highlighted
Fixes: 632

Re: Brexit Revisited

Moderators Note

Let's be thoughtful in our next set of replies please.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@dvorak 

:rolleyes:

Is that aimed at me?  :undecided:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@dvorak 

"From recent experience no, we had a massive amount of unopened (sealed in some cases) and unused medicine of several sorts that were no longer required due to a recent passing. Took it back the pharmacy it came from and it was just thrown in the bin"

My experience as well, unless they can be handed back straight away as they would be silly to take them back for redistribtion those that had left the premises even for five minutes - but lets be honest, some chemists might even do that just to make an extra few bob on the side?

Too many odd people having taken them away that might substitute or contaminate the items even if they are sealed. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Luzern 

The suitcase full?

Really?

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

Err ...  I mentioned suitcases.  :undecided:  :wink:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Ah right sorry, but it still seems like a heck of a lot of tablets to sneak through customs. :smiley:

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

The suitcase full?

@Minivanman  Was it I, who mentioned suitcases? Unless my forgettery is doing overtime, I don't think so. Smiley

We cheat sometimes; one drug we both take. If I make the morning cuppa she uses mine in the bedroom. if she makes it, she gets her own. Mine diminish quite rapidly, so sometimes the new box will actually be hers.:shocked:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

... seems like a heck of a lot of tablets to sneak through customs. :smiley:

I can't remember which TV program I saw it on but it was definitely reported.  It's not always suitcases full but apparently many smaller packages are sent.

Googling produced some examples;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-38560041

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42810148

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10849721/NHS-drugs-raid-finds-medicines-diverted-into-b...

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/five-pharmacists-suspended-as-mhra-ups...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sorry @Luzern - I boobed on that.:embarrassed:

Now corrected with RobPN. 

@RobPN wrote:

Is that aimed at me?  :undecided:

Aimed at everyone, directed replies were beginning to get a bit personal.

lets not be judgemental on a persons character.

we did after all have the sense to choose PN as our provider Wink

Customer / Moderator
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Luzern wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern 

But look at what you have copied in that post......which quotes that lady who can now only get small amounts of a particular medication because of it's streets value.

Not sure how that has anything to do with Brexit unless I have misunderstood something ?

Certain types of medication are addictive and only meant to be taken for short periods, clearly there are exceptions to that but a number of GP's just continue to prescribe as the ' patient can't do without it' and with a 10 minute consultation it can be quicker to repeat the prescription than argue.

With the value of certain medication ' on the street' it is not beyond some people actually selling medication meant for them but not really needed.

My wife is on medication for pain and this change means she has to go to the chemist a lot more but I understand the reason for it but do not understand the link to Brexit in this particular case ?

@gleneagles I think you do misunderstand. The lady was writing in connection with her situation should a deal not be reached. I mentioned street value to enforce that, IMO, her drug may be even more subject to misdirection.

TBH, I don't consider any lecture on addictiveness here is appropriate, nor do I consider, as has been said, personal conditions or medication should be taboo, if they are given as examples, not to gain personal sympathy or notoriety. Smiley

My apologies if you feel I was trying to lecture you or anyone else on the subject of addictiveness, the intention was to explain why I thought these changes had been made, not sure if I correctly understand the bit about ' gain personal sympathy or notoriety' but accept I may well have misunderstood your post.

:smiley::smiley:

TTman
Seasoned Pro

Two points.....

I order my repeat prescription over the internet. I used to order this directly from the chemist, who would get it authorised from the doctors. In the last year this changed. the government changed the system because some chemists were abusing the system and claiming for medication they had not given to a patient, The government allowed companies to manage the system for them, I know order mine from a company called evergreen and the when the chemist has it ready he texts me to tell me. I can either collect or get the chemist to deliver.

When I order any tablets I do not require I just dont tick on the list of my medicines on the site. Works well as no waiting at the chemist for him to make up prscription.

Check with your doctors he might run the same system.:smiley::cool:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@TTman 

Thanks, I'll follow that one up although I have a funny feeling (don't we all) that it is not up and running where we are but I'll check.

One things for sure they system as it stands is not working for me - but could it be any worse? Only one way to find out.  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Back on track, and I read this morning that Shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer said the Yellowhammer document confirms there are "severe risks" if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

What do they expect, that worse case scenarios should not be discussed? 

My advice, don't catch a flight anywhere as that safety lecture you get along with that card behind the seat we are asked to read and digest will scare the socks off you so much you'll never ever get on an aeroplane again!

Project fear, but then what's new.

or read the side effects of the medicines you might not be able to get..
Customer / Moderator