Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit Revisited

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Brexit Revisited

Nothing particularly Scottish about stymy or stymie; it means hinder, thwart, or block, and is for example used in golf when an opponents ball is lying directly between your ball and the hole.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I know, I was just teasing gleneagles. :smiley:

Also...

"This is probably a good time to remind everyone that Scots law is different to English law - judgement puts massive pressure on UK Supreme Court which will have to side with one of them on Tues next week"
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@Leapy wrote:

Shortages

I must be very naive as I don't really understand why we will have shortages they predict.

Let's look at food - who is going to stop people from getting food?

@Leapy  and others, who rubbish others' concerns about leaving the EU without a deal.

OK the ability to buy food will continue, but should shortages arise, prices will escalate. Tell me, please, who are the people and families, who would suffer most?

Whether you think peoples' worries are Project fear or not, please have the decency to sow you care and understand.

It's not just food but medicine, which a real concern for some. I repost what i wrote in the defunct thread.

Well count me out as to the result, but what concerns me is our potential leaving acrimoniously with all the problems it could bring. I said could, but like many I am on a cocktail of drugs, in my case for 
heart, prostrate and type 2 diabetes plus others for anxiety and gastric antidote to side effects. Some I could drop or have substitutes. Others are not so lucky. Onre lady commented in a paper, that she'd had a very serious operation, was on daily medication that doctors would only supply in small quantities
because of its street value. She wrote that changing it would undo all her progress to recovery, even kill her. Some jeers of Project Fear do appear to lack any sympathy for those, who now have real fear of what may
happen.

Please convince me that you do understand the concerns by reining in your rhetoric against any who express views other than your's. Some leavers may be in the same boat, as that worried lady.

If you cannot, I have to debate your humanity.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Leapy
Pro

@Luzern Forgive me, :sad: I was only asking about the concept of say food supply and the logistics.:shocked:

I thought this thread was to have a calm civilized debate.:smiley:

Now I know why so many threads of this topic have closed if we start talking about other issues and the personal circumstances of one individual.:lipsrsealed:

Fixes: 629

Of course everyone is concerned should a medicine shortage occur, but there are already certain issues brexit aside that are impacting the availability.

There's an article here that touches it very briefly, but is behind a paywall https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/09/will-uk-run-insulin-vital-medicines-no-deal-brexit/

"Those in the industry say they are moving heaven and earth not just to protect their businesses but to ensure patients are kept safe. Yet even before Brexit takes place, pharmacists are battling unprecedented medicine shortages. "
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@dvorak 

I can dig it out again I think, but I'm sure the amount of pharmaceuticals coming into the UK from the States is simply staggering but was you say, the concerns were there long before Brexit - along with so much else that it is being blamed for.

Talk about having a convenient whipping boy.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Luzern 

But look at what you have copied in that post......which quotes that lady who can now only get small amounts of a particular medication because of it's streets value.

Not sure how that has anything to do with Brexit unless I have misunderstood something ?

Certain types of medication are addictive and only meant to be taken for short periods, clearly there are exceptions to that but a number of GP's just continue to prescribe as the ' patient can't do without it' and with a 10 minute consultation it can be quicker to repeat the prescription than argue.

With the value of certain medication ' on the street' it is not beyond some people actually selling medication meant for them but not really needed.

My wife is on medication for pain and this change means she has to go to the chemist a lot more but I understand the reason for it but do not understand the link to Brexit in this particular case ?

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I'm simply staggered by the amount of waste, and although this same situation has been mentioned here some months back, I dropped off my repeat prescription last week which was for five different boxes of tablets.

Three I already had enough of so (again) I clearly marked and told them the two I wanted.

Picked them up yesterday and from the two I had noted they only gave me one of them and nothing else. I returned to the chemist after checking inside the bag and asked about the single missing item. Ah yes let's check they said... returning with another bag with all five items - which meant of course one item I now had two of... making six items in all!

I give up, and not for the first time.

Am I the only one this happens to? Not on your Nelly I'm not.

The only way around this situation that I can see (other than a bigger medicine cabinet at home) is to have with me a copy of the prescription I handed in, check the bag on hand-over, and then give back what I do not need. I cannot do it afterwards as they will not accept returns except for disposal after they have been taken away - which is fair enough but still, what a complete waste of money, medicines and resources and maybe another reason other than Brexit why there is not enough medication if that is indeed the case.

Bonkers Brexit? Let's not be to quick to blame. 

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern 

But look at what you have copied in that post......which quotes that lady who can now only get small amounts of a particular medication because of it's streets value.

Not sure how that has anything to do with Brexit unless I have misunderstood something ?

Certain types of medication are addictive and only meant to be taken for short periods, clearly there are exceptions to that but a number of GP's just continue to prescribe as the ' patient can't do without it' and with a 10 minute consultation it can be quicker to repeat the prescription than argue.

With the value of certain medication ' on the street' it is not beyond some people actually selling medication meant for them but not really needed.

My wife is on medication for pain and this change means she has to go to the chemist a lot more but I understand the reason for it but do not understand the link to Brexit in this particular case ?

@gleneagles I think you do misunderstand. The lady was writing in connection with her situation should a deal not be reached. I mentioned street value to enforce that, IMO, her drug may be even more subject to misdirection.

TBH, I don't consider any lecture on addictiveness here is appropriate, nor do I consider, as has been said, personal conditions or medication should be taboo, if they are given as examples, not to gain personal sympathy or notoriety. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just to lighten the mood... :smiley:

Capture HIGFY.PNG

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

I'm simply staggered by the amount of waste, and although this same situation has been mentioned here some months back, I dropped off my repeat prescription last week which was for five different boxes of tablets.

Three I already had enough of so (again) I clearly marked and told them the two I wanted.

Picked them up yesterday and from the two I had noted they only gave me one of them and nothing else. I returned to the chemist after checking inside the bag and asked about the single missing item. Ah yes let's check they said... returning with another bag with all five items - which meant of course one item I now had two of... making six items in all!

I give up, and not for the first time.

Am I the only one this happens to? Not on your Nelly I'm not.

The only way around this situation that I can see (other than a bigger medicine cabinet at home) is to have with me a copy of the prescription I handed in, check the bag on hand-over, and then give back what I do not need. I cannot do it afterwards as they will not accept returns except for disposal after they have been taken away - which is fair enough but still, what a complete waste of money, medicines and resources and maybe another reason other than Brexit why there is not enough medication if that is indeed the case.

Bonkers Brexit? Let's not be to quick to blame. 

@Minivanman How does your repeat system work? If we find one of items does not require the repeat, we leave it off, and order it later. It happens with 28 and 31 day mismatches.

Mind you me, our walk to surgery is only about 10 minutes.:)

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

The only way around this situation that I can see (other than a bigger medicine cabinet at home) is to have with me a copy of the prescription I handed in, check the bag on hand-over, and then give back what I do not need. I cannot do it afterwards as they will not accept returns except for disposal after they have been taken away - which is fair enough but still, what a complete waste of money,

Does handing medicine back actually save the NHS money?  By that I mean whose money is being wasted, i.e. who is actually paying for the over-delivered drugs?  Is it the pharmacy or do they charge the NHS for what they hand over rather than what they were told to hand over?  Who keeps tabs on this behaviour?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Same way by the sound of it @Luzern 

We leave it off (of in my case mark it to be left off - and tell them.

Again in the same way as yourself, some boxes have more tablets in them than others as we know, so after a short time I find I have more than I need (until my next prescription) of one particular item.

There are other products I could get on prescription but given the price and the time I would have to wait to get an appointment with the doctor, it's just easier (and maybe fairer) to go out and buy it. 

I guess it must be the NHS (ie the taxpayer/us) that pays for it @RobPN as I cannot see the pharmacist giving away in effect what he buys in to those with free prescriptions.

It does no add up, unless as I often do I've got my sums wrong. :smiley:    

Fixes: 629

From recent experience no, we had a massive amount of unopened (sealed in some cases) and unused medicine of several sorts that were no longer required due to a recent passing. Took it back the pharmacy it came from and it was just thrown in the bin.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Luzern wrote:

@gleneagles I think you do misunderstand. The lady was writing in connection with her situation should a deal not be reached. I mentioned street value to enforce that, IMO, her drug may be even more subject to misdirection.

TBH, I don't consider any lecture on addictiveness here is appropriate, nor do I consider, as has been said, personal conditions or medication should be taboo, if they are given as examples, not to gain personal sympathy or notoriety. Smiley

@Luzern 

Don't forget it's not just addicts who are the target of re-selling of NHS prescribed drugs.  There are many cases of people, not always but often from immigrant (1st. 2nd. or 3rd generation) families, sending or taking drugs abroad to their relatives and other 'customers', often by the suitcase-full.