Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit Revisited

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Brexit Revisited

Nasty maybe @TeeGee but at this stage of what has become a perverse game of opportunism regardless of outcome with the only loser being democracy, an election looks to be the only way forward.

Heads are going to roll that's for sure - and so they should. 

TTman
Seasoned Pro

I gather that JC and labour are going to face boh ways in the next election and not commit to leave or remain. So I can see that if they negotiate leave with the EU i can see them being offered a great deal from the eu!!!!!:huh::tickedoff:

Leapy
Pro

Shortages

I must be very naive as I don't really understand why we will have shortages they predict.

Let's look at food - who is going to stop people from getting food?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Even during the darkest days of the last war folks still managed. 

Not exactly a weekly shop at Waitrose but rationing made us all healthier, more aware, and certainly more self sufficient. No oranges or bananas of course and lot's shipped in via those convoys, but with food not wasted and a couple of chicks or a pig around the back, no worries. 

Cauliflower cheese anyone? :wink:

Leapy
Pro

@Minivanman  I don't think it's going to be like World War 2 as surly growers want to sell products and customers want them too? 

(That said, a good diet, going green and sustainable local food, with less food miles, must be a plus, but that is always a lifestyle choice.)

wotsup
Champion

@Leapy wrote:

Shortages

I must be very naive as I don't really understand why we will have shortages they predict.

Let's look at food - who is going to stop people from getting food?

Well there are certainly a lot of naive and impressionable people who are quivering with fright at project fear propaganda, but you don't sound naive to me,  after all who is going to refuse to sell you things at the moment, given the very precarious state of EU / Eurozone economy... and as for food, drugs and medicines the USA will send everything we need in convoys, and the (E)U-Boats will try to sink them just like they did before...  Some remainers even predicting fuel shortages but we don't get any oil from EU - they will stop at nothing in their holy quest to save us from ourselves,  but we don't need saving thank you very much.

interesting article....

https://brexitcentral.com/brexit-has-not-caused-a-national-crisis-but-mps-have-caused-a-democratic-c...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well no @Leapy , but just making a 'tongue in cheek' point, and you are right about trade having to continue - even the French can only eat so much cheese and the Germans so much sausage... and what would Spain do with all those tomatoes?

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@wotsup 

(E)U-Boats. :2funny:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

The Scottish court have now ruled that Jonnson's suspension of parliment is wrong.

Not exactly sure what power in law that has.

Leapy
Pro

@wotsup @Minivanman  I can understand that every country will "try" to consume its own local and national grown foods first as that supports its own farmers :wink: and some consumers choose not to buy food for personal, cost, taste or political reasons.

(I say "try" because some contries grow food just for export like Africa and some foods, like Bannas are grown as cash-crops)

Because lots of growers are a business and they have seansons, they also have shorages and gluts too, where other countries and suppliers fill the shorage or dump their glut on other contries. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

In a summary of their findings, the Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymying Parliament".

So what's "stymying" - is that a Scottish word @gleneagles ? :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Leapy 

Let's just hope that if we have to start growing more of our own we can find enough people to harvest those turnips and cabbages... or is it all automatic these days?

If the can pick grapes using a machine, why not cabbages.

images g.jpg

Leapy
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

In a summary of their findings, the Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymying Parliament".

So what's "stymying" - as that a Scottish word @gleneagles ? :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

This whole business is great for our grammar and understanding synonyms :smiley: clearly the devil is in the detail. 

Leapy
Pro

They can mechanically pick most soft fruit including Scottish Raspberries https://youtu.be/3iXJFDoKEvI without the need for an army of people.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@TTman 

"I gather that JC and Labour are going to face both ways in the next election..."

Janus Jeremy, or Labour's image as it should be. :smiley:

cb922372af7ff4692a4ccfe77b79d2bb.gif