Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit Revisited

Highlighted
wotsup
Champion

Re: Brexit Revisited

Well IMHO the other parties  have been offered another public vote on Brexit - and they have turned it down,  the question is at a general election on Brexit

1. do you want a party that will make brexit happen,

or

2. Do you want to vote for a dithering bunch of nincompoops who promise in their manifesto to leave but in reality want to stay in EU

If this is not another 'peoples vote' I don't know what is,  just like the EU elections were another vote on public feelings.

The reason chicken corbyn will not vote for a GE is that labour would be heavily punished by voters and many MPs including himself may lose their seats - the reason he would prefer a 'public vote' is that even if the brexit deniers lose there would be no MPs out of a job - self serving mendacious duplicitous back stabbing hypocritical worms just about covers it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@wotsup wrote:

self serving mendacious duplicitous back stabbing hypocritical worms

Laughably some of the deluded hypocritical fools still had the nerve to shout "shame" when parliament was shut down.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

MP's on both side of the House are pooping their pants at having an election at this time as they are running scared of being held to account by the electorate.

Will this be the first time ever that the Monster Raving Loony Party actual gain a few seats, and would we notice any difference if they did. 

Vote for genuine insanity, at least they are honest about it.

Loony_Header_2.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Maybe someone here can explain to me what's going on as I'm confused and I doubt I'm the only one.

Why does BJ want to call an election, is it to get a mandate from the electorate so he can push through with a no deal Brexit?

And wasn't JC shouting only the other week in the HoC demanding that BJ call a General Election, but when there's one on offer the block it!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

Boris has called their bluff and they've folded. Simple.

If there is an election, and it's a big if now, I'm pretty sure Boris will get in and maybe with or alongside the Brexit Party so yes, it would in effect be a mandate to leave with no deal.

It does seem to me that as far as politics is concerned, we'll look back on this one day and quote with all sincerity that famous opening line by Charles Dickens;

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness"

What it was not and what it is still not, is the age of democracy.

"This parliament is a disgrace. It’s full of liars and charlatans. It’s full of MPs who promised to respect the vote for Brexit and yet who are now killing Brexit. It is the least representative parliament in living memory. It must go"

Brendan O’Neill     

Spiked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Mook 

Yes, it is intended to get a further mandate from the electorate to go ahead with leaving, if necessary with no deal. Unfortunately for him it has backfired, and the Bill passed yesterday now means that he cannot press on with leaving without a deal unless he breaks the law. The objective of the Bill is to prevent a no deal scenario not to prevent us leaving.

JC was shouting for an election but he has now been  convinced that if it takes place and we leave without a deal, then that will be a bad thing for the country. 

Minesapint
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

@Mook 

Boris has called their bluff and they've folded. Simple.

If there is an election, and it's a big if now, I'm pretty sure Boris will get in and maybe with or alongside the Brexit Party so yes, it would in effect be a mandate to leave with no deal.

It does seem to me that as far as politics is concerned, we'll look back on this one day and quote with all sincerity that famous opening line by Charles Dickens;

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness"

What it was not and what it is still not, is the age of democracy.

"This parliament is a disgrace. It’s full of liars and charlatans. It’s full of MPs who promised to respect the vote for Brexit and yet who are now killing Brexit. It is the least representative parliament in living memory. It must go"

Brendan O’Neill     

Spiked

Some might say the bolded bit says it all.

I'm fast reaching the conclusion that I wouldn't send any of them to the corner shop for a tin of beans.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@nozzer 

The objective might well be to prevent us leaving without a deal, but it is also a double edged sword in that it prevents us leaving whilst allowing those wets to hang on to their now damp seats at our expense.

Feel free to drive away the car we said you could have, but without the wheels?

Perhaps leavers and remainers can unite and agree using Plato's allegory that parliament is indeed the ship of fools.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Just telling it as it is! :smiley:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@piersmorgan

@itvnews
"UK employment rate hits record high as wages surge higher
wotsup
Champion

Yes and still 812,000 vacancies...........

Project fear,  what do they know - ship of fools

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

The problem is that since the vote, nothing has really changed. We still trade with the EU and the rest of the world through EU agreements in the same way as we did before the vote, so I can't really see why anything should change. 

It remains to be seen what happens if we leave without a deal, but we certainly won't have any trade agreements to speak of in place on November 1st, and every single standard that has been written since we joined the EU (the CE marks) will be automatically voided. The standards will of course still be there but they won't have any legal force because they were all signed when we were EU members, and that means will legally be invalid. This means that if any of them (and there are thousands) need to be enforced by anyone who trades with us, they will find it impossible, so maybe they might avoid buying our stuff just in case?

May's deal addressed all this one way or another and it would have smoothed things for a while (while introducing other problems of course).

I dunno. I fear (literally) it will be a mess either way.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well it could have been worse nozzer.

Since joining EU we've seen the highest unemployment record since records began, 17% mortgage rates, those cold war Protect and Survive leaflets through our doors, been involved in countless wars, houses prices through the roof, thirty years of bombings and bloodshed because of 'the troubles' in Northern Ireland, the financial crisis of 2007-8, our fishing fleets, steel works, coal and car making capacity all decimated...

Just telling it as it is :rolleyes:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Reading just now that OXO are bringing out a new cube to celebrate Brexit.

It's called the laughing stock. :2funny:

TeeGee
Rising Star

I am reluctant to comment on Brexit because it is guaranteed to upset somebody and my last foray got me banned from Digital Spy!  For the record I voted No in 1975 and Leave in 2016.  What is quite clear is that Parliament had no intention of honouring the result of the referendum and the EU had no intention of balanced negotiation. Olly Robbins has just got a KBE for ensuring that negotiations failed! Sooner or later there will have to be a General Election and thing will get quite nasty.  There is not the slightest chance of both sides coming together over this.

The EU has a Parliament, a Court, a Flag and an Anthem and does not tolerate opposition.  I won't bore you all with a treatise on European history!