cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit Revisited

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Brexit Revisited

Let's see if we can continue our discussion on this very important topic in a sensible, constructive manner.

At the end of business today Parliament will be prorogued until the end of October.

Before this there will be another attempt to call a general election but this seems unlikely to happen. This will rule out an election before November.

Boris Johnson is in Ireland to discuss the backstop with their PM. Initial reaction is that no progress is being made.

So, where do we go from here?

851 REPLIES 851
TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Brexit Revisited

@artmo Parliament dithering has been put on hold for 6weeks and then we will continue with indiscision ad naseum again till we all die of boredom!!!!!CheesyShocked

198kHz
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 15

@artmo wrote:

At the end of business today Parliament will be prorogued until the end of October.

Until 14 October.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/09/boris-johnson-to-prorogue-parliament-on-monday-nigh...

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Community Veteran

It's annoying that none of those waster MP's seem to be aware of all the damage this dithering is causing the country.

Parliament on hold - the countries well earned break from squabbling MP's.

It's not like they were going to agree on anything in those six weeks.

maranello
Pro

@billnotben wrote:

It's annoying that none of those waster MP's seem to be aware of all the damage this dithering is causing the country.

Not to mention the damage to the reputations of those contributing to Brexit-related threads on this forum Wink

/gets coat

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@artmo 

I doubt anyone can answer your question regarding where do we go from here ?

A number of opinions can be given about what might happen but it's all guess work or wishful thinking.

My guess is that Johnson will threaten to cause disruption in the EU if they agree an extension date....deal or no deal.

They may well be glad to see the back of us.

ffox
Pro

John Bercow has just announced:

“At the 2017 election I promised my wife and children that it would be my last.

“This is a pledge I intend to keep if the house votes tonight for an early general election my tenure as Speaker and MP will end when this Parliament ends.

“If the house does not so vote I have concluded that the least disruptive and most democratic course of action would be for me to stand down at the close of business on Thursday October 31.”

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@ffox 

So, jumping before he's pushed?  Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Yes he is.

The Tories said they would field a candidate against him at the next election which would most certainly end his parliamentary career.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@artmo 

Let's hope the government can get it done and dusted in a "sensible, constructive manner"

So how is it going so far... err, not very well so maybe a break for a few weeks can allow them all to reflect of their stupidity and self serving stubborness.

Fingers crossed for an election for I see no other solution. 

Fixes: 613

agree, I don't understand why MP's won't allow an election.

It gives them what they want - a public vote - and they wouldn't be able to say that people didn't know whether they did or not in regards to no deal.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

A good summary of the situation?

Capture (2).PNG

Cartoon by First Dog on the Moon

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@dvorak wrote:

It gives them what they want - a public vote - and they wouldn't be able to say that people didn't know whether they did or not in regards to no deal.

@dvorak Despite it having given a narrow result in 2016, I would prefer another referendum, as IMO our FPTP system is even more biased to the right, and, if there has been a change of public sentiment that will be unfairly suppressed. If the choice is other than binary then elctors should be state preferences in order. In all cases there must be a super majority. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I agree that FPTP system is not a fair in the political sense, but for leavers like myself it would mean that in all likelihood we'd finish up if not with just Boris, but with a Boris/Farage coalition. 

If Corbyn wants to form a scuttle coalition with the wets and his proclaimed "by any means possible" then better the devil we know if it gets us out of the EU 'by any means possible'

Two can play at that game.

Jezza is one weak desperate man trying to hang on in my view to the coattails of an over confident Lib Dim party.

PS. Another referendum fine, but kept binary (let's no complicate the issue) and if the majority to vote to leave then fair dinkums, we should have a third for 'best out of three'

Deal? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Luzern wrote:

@dvorak wrote:

@dvorak Despite it having given a narrow result in 2016, I would prefer another referendum, as IMO our FPTP system is even more biased to the right, and, if there has been a change of public sentiment that will be unfairly suppressed. If the choice is other than binary then elctors should be state preferences in order. In all cases there must be a super majority. 

The problem with giving people another referendum it would change nothing irrespective of the outcome.

Would MP's still have the power to block it ? To my knowledge nothing has changed and power rests with parliament.

A second referendum would likely include a number of options in addition to a simple yes and no.

No matter what the outcome it will generate a lot of ill feeling and unacceptance by many of any final decision.

It really has opened a can of worms.