Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit Independence Day, a good idea?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Brexit Independence Day, a good idea?

I certainly think so. 

The Americans celebrated independence from the British earlier this month and today it's the turn of the French in memory of the storming of the Bastille, so how about a Brexit Independance Day when we can celebrate our freedom from Brussels? I never liked their sprouts anyway.

Suggested date? The 23rd of June of course!  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
17 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Brexit Independence Day, a good idea?

Personally I think it should be a day of national mourning with flags at half mast.

I was in Belgium yesterday and saw one of the potential side effects of the vote - part of the town of Adinkerke will be wiped off the map. When we leave EU the customs regs will change so no more cross-border shopping.

Minivanman
Hero

The rules will change of course, but then we shopped in Europe before the EU, during, and we certainly will afterwards. I was in Brittany last week and neither heard or saw any evidence that leaving Brussels behind was going to make any difference. To quote my brother in law, "I am not French, I am Breton!" 

We are still a part of Europe, what we will no longer be is part of the EU and the tangle that goes with it.

It's a big world out there folks.... but then it always has been. Is that yet another Chinese container ship I see on the horizon? Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

nadger wrote:

I was in Belgium yesterday and saw one of the potential side effects of the vote - part of the town of Adinkerke will be wiped off the map. When we leave EU the customs regs will change so no more cross-border shopping.

I don't understand that at all.

Firstly, before we joined the EU there were duty-free outlets and amounts you could bring back for personal use tax-free.

Secondly the rules that will apply when we leave (who knows when that will be?) are not defined at all.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some articles seem to be suggesting we will not really get out in the true sense of the word as similar restrictions we have now will continue to apply.

We will have to trade with Europe and it's all down to the deal we get.

Don't get me wrong I am a  100% supporter of Britexit but nothing should be taken for granted, sure we will be out but we need to compare how things are now against how things are in 4 years time.

Why 4 years, well if it appears TM has not made good progress there will be an election to consider and the outcome may well depend on that level of progress.

So let's not celibrate too soon, there are still a lot of people (with money) who would attempt to stop or hamper britexit in some way.

Minivanman
Hero

nanotm
Pro

it would be in everyones interests if the UK just agreed with the EU that as soon as article 50 is enacted they will offer us and we will accept a complete immediate separation and then we can choose what if any laws need changing and get on with living, any attempt to negotiate anything will invariably drag on and result in us effectively becoming a non voting full member of the EU, the dictators in brussles want us to keep all their laws and the watered down versions of rights they copied from our statute books in the first place then thrust upon us with them remaining the final arbiter of everything.

the entire world would be better off without a semi federalised communist dictatorship siting power in Europe but that's too much to wish for as an immediate happenstance, before the EU there was ISO and WTO that all cross boarder trade was meant to comply with then came the common market which created new versions that were different and largely pro German/French and anti everything else, if we get back to a situation similar to that found in the past in short order then its likely the EU's quota system will go up in a pire along with all the other protectionist dross that's been artificially propping up businesses that should of long since failed, and we will all be better off for it, who knows once food no longer has to be sourced in the EU and can be traded from anywhere maybe the ivory trade will once again be curtailed as all those poachers get back to running the bread basket of the world.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@nanotm

Hard to disagree with most of the points you make but I suspect the EU need us more than we need them except the top brass in Brussels live in a bubble and do not see it that way and will attempt to make us pay for leaving.

Far better that their time was spent addressing the current problems of the EU rather than start a battle with us.

All this free movement in the EU..? at the same time barbed wire fences are going up across europe and it will not be long before all citizens will have to show their passport before moving into other EU countries.

nanotm
Pro

lets just hope that the government are still reading plusnet forum pages and act under advisement, businesses would love to operate in on the door step of Europe in a nation of good standing with virtually zero civil unrest where they can still achieve good profits and make things to their own designs (saves on shipping costs for flogging to the EU market) if only they didn't have to jump through all those stupid regulatory hoops during the production side of things, its the primary reason why so much was outsourced to Asia (where government imposed regulation is considered a capital offense)

but as things are starting to shake down right now I'm willing to bet they either dither on implementing the article 50 negotiation until next April or fall over themselves to become a non voting fully compliant member state without representation in the state ..... far to many pontificating self effacing puppets appointed to the top spots where the departments all hold EU approved names, because calling everything "the department for xyz" wasn't right for the European outlook....

Community Veteran

I'm all for a bit of long overdue flag waving.

Why not a snail free bank holiday?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

billnotben wrote:

Why not a snail free bank holiday?

In MY garden!HuhShocked

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Luzern  Aw!.. C`mon... let `em slug it out.... there will always be a trail of destruction,

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Luzern - I wouldn't take what @shutter says with a pinch of salt it will only serve to dissolve the situation.

nadger
Rising Star

To clarify my original comments about shopping in Europe I was referring specifically to excise goods like tobacco.

On Wednesday I purchased 4,000 cigs and 1.5kg rolling tobacco ( unfortunately SWMBO still smokes) in Adinkerke - just over £1,100 sterling cash. This is allowable as we are in EU and goods are for personal use.

From a non EU country the duty free allowance is 200 cigs or 250g rolling tobacco.

Whilst the saving on what we spent justifies journey cost of £150 ( we saved over £800 on purchases) it will not be viable after Brexit.

Our passports expire in 3 years and, as I'll be 84, won't be renewed so we would have stopped going to Adinkerke regardless of Brexit.

nanotm
Pro

@nadger

but its not duty free shopping, your paying the duty in the country of purchase (its just less than 1/2 the rate we normally pay) if it was truly duty free that measly amount of tobacco products would of cost you under £400..... (you guys should think about using an e-cig, if for nothing else it will let you keep smoking your supplies for longer if you only have one or two reals per day and chug on the e-cig the rest of the time)

however I rather suspect that come full brexit the import rules for personal consumption will change only very slightly to the rules currently in force, they will likely up the amount of tax free stuff you can buy and of course ferries will once again have tax free offshore shopping which should actually boost the numbers taking the ferry (the train wont get that cos its not leaving land Tongue )

So just as the way businesses operated in the past changed when the rules did and some thing ceased trading (iirc there used to be 5 ferry companies operating on the English channel routes to the continent and now there's only 1) they will change again as the new rules come into force.

and yes I do remember doing booze cruise to Calais twice a year before the rules changed and we had to travel start taking the train to Belgium filling up then taking the ferry back which saw thousands loose their jobs in the shipping industry but opened up thousands of jobs in other places.... and so it will be again