cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking News! New American study says texting when driving causes crashes

Community Veteran

Breaking News! New American study says texting when driving causes crashes

This beggars belief, what is wrong with these people? Are they living in some parrallel universe or what?
New York Times article
Texting Raises Crash Risk 23 Times, Study Finds
The first study of drivers texting inside their vehicles shows that the risk sharply exceeds previous estimates based on laboratory research — and far surpasses the dangers of other driving distractions.
The new study, which entailed outfitting the cabs of long-haul trucks with video cameras over 18 months, found that when the drivers texted, their collision risk was 23 times greater than when not texting.

The new study, which entailed outfitting the cabs of long-haul trucks with video cameras over 18 months, found that when the drivers texted, their collision risk was 23 times greater than when not texting.

Mr. Hanowski said the texting analysis was financed by $300,000 from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which has the mission of improving safety in trucks and buses. More broadly, the two studies yielding the results represent a significant logistical undertaking. The cost was $6 million to equip the trucks with video cameras and track them for three million miles as they hauled furniture, frozen foods and other goods across the country

$6,300,000 for a report that says if you text when you are driving you are more likely to crash.
21 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Breaking News! New American study says texting when driving causes crashes

All seems to be part of a sad general decline in common sense, and the view in some quarters that you cannot do anything unless somebody has published an academic study on it. e.g, the growth of 'evidence-based medicine'. I rather think a lot of this stuff comes from quangos and officials who produce in an attempt to sound important to justify their own existence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mind you, the BBC are not far off in some of their stories.
MP's tell us what we all know about the rail companies, that it's far too expensive, fares going up way higher than inflation and all they're interested in is profit.
Funnily enough, they deny it.
I was so shocked at seeing this on the front page of BBC news, that I nearly had to have a lie down Roll eyes
Community Veteran

ha!  they needed an 18 month study to determine what common sense tells me in a second.
no wonder the united states of america is disintegrating.
Community Veteran

Of course the result of the study was going to be obvious, I expect though, that if you want to ban something through law like 'texting while driving' you probably have to have a study to 'prove' this. So the money is a waste, but if it goes on to make a law that saves lives, it seems fair.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

but if it goes on to make a law that saves lives

Well the UK's seatbelt and no using a phone while driving laws are <b>certainly</b> being kept to 100%  Crazy
I was in a car with a neighbour recently to help him collect something, he broke both these and the speed limit (in a 30 zone), I would could only cringe  Shocked
Community Veteran

That maybe breaking written laws, but it does support Darwin's Law which long terms solves these problems too.  Lips are sealed
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Fixes: 47

The guys who commissioned the report probably didn't realise it was hazardous because they did all their texting from the back of a Limo Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Apparently being Stupid Yanks, its the same as with other prohibitions (Guns$%^&) only about 14 of the states have laws relating to the use of mobiles in vehicles
Community Veteran

In general Yanks are not stupid, no more so than you or me.  Most States have laws on cell phones.  They don't all do the same thing which means you have to be aware of each State's law if you drive around the US.  Best to check before you travel.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would have thought stick to the British laws and you wont have trouble in any state, Thats sensible
Community Veteran

No chance. There are loads of things you can do here that you can't in the USA.
Drinking under 21 is a common one.
In some states you can't even carry a bottle of booze inside your car - it must be in the boot. Guns are often fine though.  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

was talking about mobile phones, think I was on topic Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

A lot of States ban learner drivers and under 18s from using cell phones at all. This site gives a run down on each State:
http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as I said stick to the British rules, the only slightly stricter is under 18's,  It think that a learner would be in trouble here if theyt used a hands free as well.