cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bread making

MightyMouse
Grafter

Bread making

After over forty years since I last made bread, I've decided I would like to have a go at it again.
First of all I no longer have the recipes, and secondly, dried yeast is all I can get theses days
I purchased a tin of Allinson Dried Active Yeast  yesterday and according to the tin it has to be activated with water and sugar before use.
Does anybody have any recipes for making white bread with dried yeast and prefered ways of activating the yeast ?
Thanking you in advance.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Bread making

If you look on google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=bread+making+recepie&meta=cr%3DcountryUK|countryGB#hl=en&cr=c...) there are loads.
I buy the "pre-mixed" ones in Lidl - I like the Chibatta (I add chilli flakes to it) and the farmhouse one (I had sultana's to it)
Or the standard Bread Flour and add sugar,salt, water & yeast - I don't pre-make a yeast starter (on for my beer  making  Wink)  Just make sure the water is tepid not cold/hot.
I also use a bread-maker to take the drudge of kneading out - dump ingredients in 1.5hrs later take the dough out and shape it for the oven - or bake in the machine. I had some Barleycorn flour from Mt' T's last week and just followed the instruction on the flour packet - only thing I found was it needs more salt than specified at least 1 teaspoonful if not more.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I buy fresh yeast from the bakery counter (this is ones where they make bread on the premises) at either Tesco or Sainsbury
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

For got to mention that you can get fresh yeast from the bigger supermarkets (they charge you though 25p last time I got some) or from a friendly baker/brewery
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We cheat and use a bread maker to knead the dough. That calls for an accelerated yeast powder, ours is Doves Farm for health food shops. Just chuck all of the ingredients in the bread mix container set it on a 90 minute dough programme and then walk away. After 90 mins come back, knock down the dough, shape it, leave it to rise then bake. It's very little work and never seems to fail. Everyone raves about the bread and I know how little salt is really required in bread.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

White Bread
You asked for favourite recipe...
500 gms
Strong white bread flour
2 tblspns (heaped)
Skimmed milk powder
Egg + tepid water to 350 mls
2 teaspns
Rapid yeast
2 teaspns
Caster sugar
1 teaspn
Salt
25 gms
Unsalted butter
1 tblspn (heaped)
Ground Almonds

Baking - Gas Mark 7 about 20 mins
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

To a basic recipe for savoury bread I sometimes add packet of ‘mushroom’ or ‘onion’ soup to give the bread a slightly different flavour. I use predominantly rye flour (for taste) but need to double both yeast weight and proving time.
snozboz
Grafter

I use this recipe:
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/simple-white-loaf-recipe
No sugar required!  As I understand it, you want the yeast to feed off the flour - I guess the use of sugar originates from when flour wasn't of good quality so the yeast needed a bit of encouragement to get going.
Oh, and I use a tin of Allinson Dried Active Yeast as well as the OP MightyMouse.  And I change the recipe to make it 50/50 white and wholemeal flour.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have tried to make bread a number of times but have always failed.
Even though I have used the correct yeast and flour and got it to rise OK before putting it in the oven it has always ended up tasting awful.
I Have no problem with cakes, mirangues, or any other stuff, just bread so will stick to the shop variety.
Isawitall
Grafter

Having worked in a bakery i could tell a tale or two  Smiley
The cheap stuff you get in supermarkets is made with Euro bleached flour, Warburtons etc is made with American flour, hence the big price differance.
If you want to make your own bread you really do need Fresh yeast not the dried pack stuff (it does freeze), Pop into morrisons or tescos and ask at the bakery counter for some fresh  yeast (they cant really sell it to you because its a living organism) but some may give it for free or a small fee
Never add salt to yeast or it will kill it !  i use salt first then flour then yeast.
Warm and humid is the secret to good bread, takes about an hour to rise then into a hot oven .
Best to practice making teacakes then move onto bread.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks to everybody for your replies, it's much appreciated.
To Snozboz, your recipe seems very close to the one that I used many years ago, but of course fresh yeast was used then.

I will give this recipe a try.
As you will of course know, it says on the tin that the yeast must be activated with water before use.
Am I correct in assuming that with this recipe you do not activate the yeast first ?
Incidently, many years ago I  worked in a bakery  although on the cake making side & did an apprenticeship
which involved Breadmaking. it was so long ago that I have forgotten most of what  I learnt.
For those that are unaware,  the reason for using strong flour  is the higher Gluten content (stretchability, gives better rise)
Canadian flour was usually used in preference to English as it is stronger.
Apparently,  Canadian wheat produced a higher Gluten content than English  due to the climate in which it was grown (harsher winters  & warmer summers  I believe)
snozboz
Grafter

Quote from: MightyMouse
Am I correct in assuming that with this recipe you do not activate the yeast first ?

Yes, if by "activate" you mean follow the instructions on the yeast tin involving sugar - I don't do this.  
As I understand it, the yeast comes already active - so when given the right environment it does its thing i.e. when you add the warm water to the dry mixture (of salt, flour, a little oil, and yeast).  When I do this, I see bubbles immediately in the bowl so I know it's working.
About to start another batch myself...  Smiley
MightyMouse
Grafter

Yes I did, many thanks

P.s  The reason we used to put fat (now oil) in, is because it helps to keep the loaf fresh for longer.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

been  on a trip to Cressing Temple today, found this
Community Veteran

Some may be interested in the idea of making Soda Bread, you can make this style of bread in just under an hour from start to finish, it is a style of bread which is much less sensitive to make successfully.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed