Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breach of human rights ? or not ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Breach of human rights ? or not ?

Police in London, have set up a "facial recognition camera" Presumably same kind of set up as the ANPR vans.. And some people are objecting to its use, as a violation of privacy or human rights.. Police say it is another "tool" they can use to identify KNOWN criminals in an area... I see nothing wrong with the idea of these camera`s.... as it really is no different from the "local bobby" .. who , wandering on his beat, is aware of , and probably recognises his "local villains"... Yeah, ok... we don`t have the "local bobby" wandering aimlessly about looking for crims... but many of the crims, are recognised by the cops in their cars as they "patrol" around town... so.. what is the difference .between a camera that can recognise and report a sighting,... and a "local" bobby in his patrol car doing the same thing. ..
52 REPLIES 52
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 189

Re: Breach of human rights ? or not ?

Police say it is another "tool" they can use to identify KNOWN criminals in an area..

If that was all they could do then ok BUT AIUI the NCD contains information about people who have never been convicted or possibly never even charged, Most of this information should not be stored but unless it's d requested to be deleted, it stays there.

So the facial recognition can search MUCH more (and faster) than the local bobbies memory of known criminals.

...and then once the technology is proven and in use , who's to say the police won't get a link to the BorderForce database and then anyone who's ever had a passport.....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Working in the Square Mile I was told that no matter where I went there were at least 2 CCTV cameras watching me. Apart from the odd riot I actually felt safe and there was very little crime. Waiting now for all the newspaper quotes proving how wrong I was....
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

It was only a matter of time before this happened, I see no problem with it at present but in some brave new world it could easily be abused, not that we can do much about that.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

They were running trials with it a while back in Cardiff here in Wales.

You can object of course but then you would have to know a) you had been recorded in the first place and b) that it had been deleted. Impossible? Just about.

I'm sure the law as it stands cannot support the legality of this and is another case of cart before the horse. Shops and clubs have been known to use it as well.

Over the pond of course but San Francisco is the first city to ban the use of them because of errors and failure when recording women or those with 'dark skin'. As it exists today the tecnnology is unreliable, and represents an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.

Next up, the banning of any sort or face covering full or partial. 

Terrible times, and let's hope they dump it where the sun don't shine. 

And no problem @gleneagles?

Reminds me of that saying about the innocent having nothing to fear, and yet history has proved that statement to be horribly wrong. Big time. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

So how does a camera surveillance or othewise stop you getting bashed over the head by a hoody?

Just asking. Wink

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Well I did say I do not have problems with it at present but in a brave new world the situation is likely to be different.

There have been a few fiction films where the government or some criminal has bribed someone to enter fictious details about someone giving them a long criminal history and classed as most wanted......fiction of course but we sometimes find that fiction writers can see that fiction becoming reality at some future point.

Out of interest I have a current passport yet it has never worked in those automatic scanners so they have my photo on record but it clearly does not match my passport photo.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

So how does a camera surveillance or othewise stop you getting bashed over the head by a hoody?

Just asking. Wink

Well if there is a greater chance of the person being caught it might reduce the risk.

The only way not to get bashed over the head is to wear a motorcycle helmet.

Wink

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

Just asking. Wink

Didn’t see many hoodies, maybe the cameras were a deterrent....

gleneagles
Community Veteran

A bit of research is called for here........Are you more likely or less likely to get bashed over the head if you wear a hoody yourself.

Great subject that for someone doing a Phd ! Cheesy

If less likely then that's the answer we all wear hoodies !

Wink

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Ah, there's an issue with those scanned government held photographs as well because they are/can be shared with other agencies... such as the police. Mind you my passport which I renewed last year used an old photpgraph they already had of me from the previous one... at least I think they did so how daft is that?

I once came back into the UK with my then ten year old French nephew and only had to show his ID card - but the picture on it was from when he was eighteen months old. Crazy2

Actually, that re-used photo might have been for my 'free for over seventies' drivers licence... or bus pass. Roll_eyes

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Seem to have gone off a bit of a tangent here..... from "facial recognition" to "preventing being mugged".. I think the idea behind it all, is to "monitor" an area "known" for being used by certain "crims"... and when those crims come into focus, they can be ascertained to have been in that area, at that particular time... or indeed, if the police are specifically targetting someone, because they suspect he is ( e.g. ) a drug dealer, or mule, they can use the facial recognition cameras as "covert" detection... saves a copper sitting in a car, and dropping off to sleep at the crucial time the crim decides to make his appearance.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well whatever @shutter it's not a world I'll be living in much longer, but this is all so insidious to the point that the younger generations will just accept it as normal.

Easy come easy go, freedom fought for... and just given away even when not asked.

Innocent nothing to fear blah blah blah horse poop. Wink

As for cops sitting in cars (with a burger and coke) I think those days are long gone. One who shall remain nameless tells me they are closely monitored now and unless on a specific task where they are meant to be stationary.... 

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

@shutter  We’ve not gone too far off topic as facial imaging software can be applied to existing CCTV footage.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Is the resolution good enough though, and are they sensitive in low light.

You are probaly right but I'm guessing the quality (therefore mistakes) must vary.