cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brass Rubbing

geewizz
Grafter

Brass Rubbing

Are there any keen brass rubbers on the forums? I have a few questions I would like to put to any brass rubber.
Where do you get those huge sheets of paper?
Where do you get the money for those huge sheets of paper?
Why do you waste huge sheets of paper duplicating an image which you didn't make, which is perfectly visible without you rubbing a piece of chalk over it, which is on a better medium than paper in the first place and which can be photographed?
29 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Brass Rubbing

Where do you get those huge sheets of paper?

Any DIY shop sells lining paper...
Where do you get the money for those huge sheets of paper?

Selling brass rubbings.
Why do you waste huge sheets of paper duplicating an image which you didn't make, which is perfectly visible without you rubbing a piece of chalk over it, which is on a better medium than paper in the first place and which can be photographed?

Why not?

...is what I'd say if I was a brass rubber.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I suppose you could ask the same question to any photographer...... The reason why, is simple.... It gives the person carrying out the "hobby" some form of pleasure, by concentrating the mind to produce the best image possible.  This image is then removed from the scene of origin, and preserved for future enjoyment, either by the person concerned, or in the case of commercial applications, by others, who have not been able to experience the original in person. 
@ geewizz .....What is your favourite waste of time hobby? and why do you do it?
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: orbrey
...is what I'd say if I was a brass rubber.
I tried a brass rubber but found it tore the paper so reverted to a rubber rubber  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would have thought  a "brass rubber" would be very difficult to hold, in view of their size, and loose clothing......  Grin
which way up do you use them?    Undecided
  perhaps if you took the boots off, they would not tear the paper......... Roll eyes
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ][/color]
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
I tried a brass rubber but found it tore the paper so reverted to a rubber rubber  Smiley

what does a rubber rubber rub?
I mean I can understand what a brass rubber rubs but not what a rubber rubber  rubs?

Wink
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
@ geewizz .....What is your favourite waste of time hobby? and why do you do it?

I'm a keen amateur lacemaker. I suppose I get a frill out of it.
N/A

Brass rubbers are harder to get on, but more durable that rubber rubbers.
Colder at first though.
/coat
nadger
Rising Star

Mmmmm - methinks I should have erased my earlier comment Cry
N/A

I tried to resist, but sadly couldn't manage it.
Sorry folks.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I actually did manage to resist, and now feel quite smug about it.
Fixes: 47

I've been clicking 'Report to Moderator' like mad but I suspect they are all to busy laughing to do anything about it Wink Grin
Well, all but one anyway Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I wonder...
Well you know there's carvings on the top of buildings, particularly churches etc? Those are pretty high up. There's probably some carvings on commemorative plates on the top of a lot of recent buildings too.
Surely somewhere there are people who strap on a roll of paper, a pouch of assorted drawing materials and a bag of chalk and go off a-scaling and a-rubbing?
I'd be up for a bit of extreme brass rubbing. That sounds like ace fun.
Fixes: 47

I'll add it to the list which includes extreme darning, extreme ironing etc...
Usually performed underwater > 2 fathoms BTW Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Quote from: orbrey
Well you know there's carvings on the top of buildings, particularly churches etc? Those are pretty high up. There's probably some carvings on commemorative plates on the top of a lot of recent buildings too.

For example: A memorial to the late Fred Dibnah carved into the top of the chimney on Lister mill in Bradford (It was undergoing renovations when he passed away, so the steeplejacks thought it would be a fitting tribute)
I also left various messages on the roof's of farm buildings whilst repairing them over the years.
Also, as a landscape gardener, I used to leave messages under patios etc, in case anybody read them later on.
I also once left the initials of myself and colleagues in slightly different coloured cobbles down the side of somebody's pathway once on a job along with the year of the job - you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it, but its still there!