cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand v Store named groceries

Fixes: 125

Brand v Store named groceries

My other thread about the chocolate got me thinking...
Is there really much difference between brand named and store named groceries.
For years I swore black was blue that no other corn flakes were as good as Kellogs yet I'm pretty sure hotels and such most likely buy cheaper brands to keep costs down yet I have never disliked them. On the other hand, when I have been to friend's and seen the Tesco or whatever packet I have had a most definite dislike of them.
It's the same with many other brands. Heinz Baked Beans do seem to have a slightly better sauce than Morrisons or Tesco but the difference doesn't seem to be that great.
I would only have McVities shortbread but I recently found that Tescos' is just as nice.
So, what brand names do you swear by and what store named do you prefer over the brand name?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 5

Re: Brand v Store named groceries

To be honest you can potentially cut the total cost of your shopping bill in half if you buy non-branded items. I would much prefer to spend £25 than £50 on some shopping, even if the taste wasn't quite as good, even so £25 is £25. I do think that even the Tesco branded items aren't too bad and in most cases can't even tell the difference between that and another slightly more expensive product.
Chris Pettitt
Cloud Environments Engineer
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I quite often see, in my local Tesco, especially early in the day, people with trolley loads of the cheapest own brand white bread there is, obviously running some sort of food outlet.
The same goes for other food stuffs too.
annerimmington
Grafter

I`ve tried Asda`s beans and can recommend them - better than Heinz or HP (and of course cheaper), lovely thick tomato sauce (that is the secret of good beans - the sauce has to be thick and not runny)!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

SWMBO has a bad case of eating Jafa Cakes, only the genuine items, that is till she was desperate and the nearest store was  Lidl,  got a packet of there own brands, that  did it, they tasted better
Infinity
Pro

Aldi Oaties are nicer than Hobnobs.
Their fresh whole Chickens are very nice too.
Their frozen Chicken Breasts taste funny to me, not nice.
Javert
Grafter

I have a small book “Supermarket Own Brand Guide” (Martin Isark) - ”2000 items tested in 250 product categories” - “Ratings given for taste, value & quality”.
An example: Flora Spread: Asda’s own product: “A beat-the-brand buy. Half the price and tastes as good.” The Tesco version: “Yuk! Better to go without if this is the only option”.
Fixes: 47

Tesco
Weetabix 24 Biscuits 454G  £2.18
Tesco Wheat Biscuits 24S 454G  £1.47
I can't tell the difference in taste which is why I buy own brand Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I mostly buy own brands, Tesco "normal" baked beans I find taste better than anyone else’s I have tried. Until recently Aldi's own Dark chocolate digestives were great, but they have changed the recipe so not so good now, Tesco own brand digestives are great better than leading brands. (red label ones)
Aldi tea bags (160 for £2) are as good as Tetley  etc and a lot cheaper.
Just a few I tend to have on my shopping list  Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Agree with you about Tesco baked beans & Aldi plain chocolate digestives - their Jaffa Cakes are also nice.
We do buy branded tea bags & Nescafe Gold Coffee but only when on very special offer. Then we'll buy 6 or 8 jars of coffee and at least a 1,000 tea bags.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We do alternative shops first week Morrisons & second week Aldi.
By checking out various items we have ended up with a specific shopping list for both stores and the items on the Aldi list are as good, if not better that Morrison's. Certainly reduced our shopping Bill !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: PlusComUK
Aldi Oaties are nicer than Hobnobs.
In what way - I ask as a Hobnobs fan - eating one as I type (well not literally as it would get crumbs all over the keyboard)
Are they more or less sweet - I certainly wouldn't want sweeter ones
Infinity
Pro

I just prefer Oaties, it's been so long since I had Hobnobs I can't go into specifics.
Certainly worth a try, around 39p I think for a packet.
Great dunkers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Always thought it strange that "own brand" baked beans and soups often have lower sodium content than branded (i.e. Heinz) "low salt" beans and soup?
But "Own Brand" ice cream often contains the equivalent to the RDA of salt.