cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott Scotland

mentalist3d
Grafter

Boycott Scotland

Has anyone seen this: http://boycottscotland.com/ and the second site (which must be a wind-up in retaliation to the 1st site): http://www.boycottscotland.co.uk/
If this is the stance Americans wish to take please allow our troops to come home
47 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Boycott Scotland

Yeah, I saw them the other day there and found them quite amusing... wonder if it's working Smiley
Community Veteran

Well maybe they should look at this:
Nelson Mandela has backed the Scottish Government's controversial decision to free the Lockerbie bomber.
The former South African president has expressed appreciation for the decision to release Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi on compassionate grounds.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8229338.stm
Community Veteran

Oh well that makes it all ok then doesn't it. What has what Mandella thinks got to do with anything?
I understand Boycott Scotland will only affect the sales of whiskey and American tourists anyway, both of which which don't mean a whole lot in life's scheme of things.
The pretend politicans in Scotland who released a convicted terrorist into the arms of the Libyan PR machine want locking up them selves for being so stupid as to not see that coming a mile off
Community Veteran

Mandela was very involved in the process to persuade the Libyans to send him to UK in the first place - and in many respects I believe Mandela has been one of the most sensible international leaders of our times.
http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/mags/post/postindex.htm
And Scottish law is different from English law so that's what MacAskill was applying
nadger
Rising Star

I saw one argument that Megrahi should have received treatment in a Scottish hospital to keep him alive for as long as possible to prolong his prison sentence.
Obviously the person making this argument has never had cancer or considered that treating Megrahi could deprive a needy UK citizen of treatment.
As the medics were satisfied that his cancer was untreatable I personally felt that he should have been returned to Libya to complete as much of his sentence as was possible. That would possibly have avoided the disgusting public display that took place on his arrival.
Community Veteran

There's a certain irony in Americans getting hot under the collar about the release of Megrahi (I won't reveal at the moment my personal feelings), while celibrating the life of a womanising, cowardly, supporter of a terrorist group that claimed the lives of hundreds if not thousands of UK and Irish citizens using weapons and explosives paid for by Americans (and Libya incidentally).
My lasting memory of an American Senator yelling at a british soldier on national television, and verbally abusing him, knowing he was in no position to retaliate doesn't exactly improve my impression of American justice.
John
mentalist3d
Grafter

American justice, there's 2 words you don't see often nowadays lol
Community Veteran

I take it the name Kennedy is being alluded to here.
And let's not forget that Joseph Patrick "Joe" Kennedy - father of JFK etc, was US Ambassador in London in 1939/1940 and whilst not necessarily a nazi sympathiser was not sympathetic to Churchill views and was predicting British defeat and not sympathetic to President Roosevelt who secretly talking to Churchill and his aids
- such as William Stephenson - Intrepid. And one of his staff in the communications centre fed the secret traffic between US and UK to the Germans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stephenson ;

Community Veteran

Quote from: mentalist3d
American justice, there's 2 words you don't see often nowadays lol

I see American justice everyday, perhaps you could explain what you don't see.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
I understand Boycott Scotland will only affect the sales of whiskey and American tourists anyway,

Aye, and sales of American tourists are already at an all time low in Embra (and for the whiskey [sic] brands owned by Diageo some Scots would happily join the boycot).  Wink
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
I see American justice everyday, perhaps you could explain what you don't see.

Well I don't see American justice when they bomb foreign lands indiscriminately such as "Shock and Awe" in Iraq to name a recent example and the continuing tragedies that are taking place in Iraq and Afghanistan, whereby it is the innocent civilian that ultimately suffers. Then we could also mention Israel, or the funding of terrorism in the UK during Thatchers reign, or the selling of chemical weapons to dictatorship regimes, training terrorists such as Osama, the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (the only power ever to use a nuclear weapon against a civilian population), the trail of tears, and so on and on, they have a large list of injustices, currently and historically, against many nations in their determination to export their brand of democracy and ideology.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I almost forgot Guantanamo Bay, where is the freedom and justice to that place?
Community Veteran

Quote from: mentalist3d
<snip> against many nations in their determination to export their brand of democracy and ideology.

Surely you mean their determination to protect their democracy and ideology.
If the Americans had not contributed to the Allied forces in WW2, there would be no Israel to mention, the genocide of the  Jews would have been completed and we would all be speaking German or Japanese or even perhaps Russian.
mentalist3d
Grafter

They are not protecting their democracy and ideology by subjugating other nations, when you subjugate a nation, the resentment will naturally grow until they kick back. If someone disagreed with your idealogy and believed their ideology was better, would you let them force their ideology on you?
As for WW2, that is only 1 event whereby America done good even though they were still exporting Coca-Cola to the Nazis and helping to fund the Nazi youth league as well as filtering stolen Nazi gold into their banks. A very intelligent man once wrote, "he who wins the war, writes the history"
"Coca-Cola also has an interesting past. While Coke was storming through Europe in the 1940s supporting American GI's , Coca-Cola GmbH (Germany) was busy collaborating with the Nazi regime. The company advertised in the Nazi press, thus financially supporting it. It built bottling plants in occupied territories. Then in 1941, when Coca-Cola GmbH could no longer get the syrup from America to make Coke, it invented a new drink specifically for the Nazi beverage market, out of the ingredients available to it. That drink was Fanta. Yessiree! Fanta is the drink of Nazis!"  http://www.newstatesman.com/200405240002