cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boxing Day Holiday

Fixes: 47

Boxing Day Holiday

MPs are discussing a petition to make Boxing Day a shopping free day.

I don't have a problem with that but one person said that people would simply go online and do their Boxing Day shopping.

I offer this solution...

Internet-Switch.jpg

Who wants to pull this switch on Boxing Day.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Boxing Day Holiday

Once upon a time (in the 90s), in a far off land (lancashire), in a time of innocence (I was 11), I once went off to Burnleh to go buy something I really wanted to get after christmas, it was a weekday, so I assumed everything would be open, it wasn't, and the buses were running, which they barely were, so, it wasn't that long ago when Boxing Day was a no-shopping day, but then rules were relaxed as some people didn't follow the idea of christmas and thought it was a bit unfair to have everything closed for the sake of some followers of a 1700 year old storybook... Crazy2

So no, keep things open for those who just don't follow christmas, because it's all about fairness and equality these days... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don`t have a problem with shops being open for people who "need" stuff...  but the problem is not about those people.... which are generally called "customers"... the problem is about the people who serve them... i.e. the shop staff.

Whilst the emergency and essential services have national holiday relief staff available, (usually on a voluntary or rotational basis).. smaller organisations, like your local shop, or even main shopping centre stores, practically enforce the staff to work on the national holiday, because of the "bottom line" or "profit" that they will lose, if the shop/store is closed. and the competition will take that profit from those customers that "might" have gone into the stores that had closed.

Personally, working on Christmas day/boxing day, easter, etc, never bothered me... but for some families, it is trying to be realistic, about your job security, as to whether you can be brave enough to say... NO.. I`m not working over the holidays...  and consider the consequences of not doing so.. especially if both parents have to be working those days.

The idea of banning shopping on Boxing day, is in their interests, and not the company that employs them...At least if the government do bring in a ban,....it will be a level playing field for all retail companies, so they will all be shut and no competition will gain... except for the on-line businesses, maybe.

Local privately owned convenience stores could/should be exempt.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Many staff have to work extended hours in the run up to Christmas, some stay after shop closes on Christmas Eve to prepare for Sales then back early in time for shop opening at some ridiculous time on December 26th (Next @ 6am?)  when little or no public transport is running .... just because some idiots cannot wait a couple of hours for a "bargain".

With Christmas Day falling on a Sunday this year (Boxing Day Bank Holiday being December 27th) will the shops treat December 26th any differently to recent years?

Community Veteran

I still miss the old days when if you walked to the shops on a Sunday, the only option was window shopping.

I remember skiving off and going to the city centre during the day. Shop staff would out number customers and some.

Times have changed but for the better? Certainly not for the staff.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

Once upon a time (in the 90s), in a far off land (lancashire), in a time of innocence (I was 11), I once went off to Burnleh to go buy something I really wanted to get after christmas, it was a weekday, so I assumed everything would be open, it wasn't, and the buses were running, which they barely were, so, it wasn't that long ago when Boxing Day was a no-shopping day, but then rules were relaxed as some people didn't follow the idea of christmas and thought it was a bit unfair to have everything closed for the sake of some followers of a 1700 year old storybook... Crazy2

So no, keep things open for those who just don't follow christmas, because it's all about fairness and equality these days... Grin

Going back to those days, it was't just bank holidays that many shops were closed on, many had a half day closing, usually thursday and only opened for a few hours on a Sunday morning for papers.

Some shops, usually family owned, closed for up to 2 weeks each year for holidays.

When Sunday shopping first started I think staff were told it would be optional for those who considered it a religious day and additional payment was made for working unsocial hours, however in recent times some firms have scrapped the additional payments and perks due to the increase in the minimum wage and new contracts are likely to stipulate a condition of accepting the job is working on bank holidays and weekends if required.

Minivanman
Hero

This nothing less than a response to petition pandering just for the hell of it.

Boxing day closure is never going to happen - there are far to many vested interests, loopholes and let's face it, to many people wanting to 'shop' wall to wall twenty four seven. It would even be nice to return to a time when shops were closed on Sunday but unfortunately this is just another Pandora's box that has now been opened.

Mistake, big mistake Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I hate shopping at any time, so if the shops were shut on Boxing Day (or the designated 'holiday day'), I couldn't care less.

I do have to ask though - why open on Boxing Day - staying shut for that day would mean the 'sales' start a day later, but so what?

In my home city of Sheffield, up to a couple of years ago, there were NO services Boxing Day, and I didn't feel inconvenienced, just treated it as a day to relax.

John
Fixes: 125

Doesn't bother me if the shops open on Boxing Day or Sundays as I will only shop if I need too.

I have picked up good bargains before on Boxing Day but I went out purposely to get something specific so didn't get caught out in all the hype.

I do feel for the staff who may be 'encouraged' to work over these periods, though. And they are the ones who get the brunt of abuse when things go pear-shaped with customers rather than the directors, etc.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

OT but same idea.
The Easter close down in England really confused me when I first came across it.
Being from Scotland (where Sunday trading laws are silly anyway), we were in Yorkshire at Easter on hols , went to get some food and what nothing OPEN!

So that put paid to going on holiday at Easter.

Personally Mrs HB works at Tesco and the hassles involved in NOT working a bank holiday are legion. Mind you she has had people asking what time they are open on XMAS day. (and not p-taking either)

Then you get the panic buyers filling 2 trolleys at the supermarket to overflowing on Christmas Eve.

How are they ever going to survive if Tesco doesn't open on Boxing Day.

Fixes: 125

Seems a sad fact of life that we live within a greed cultureShocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

This could lead to a steep downhill slope!

Here in Wales they used to close the pubs on a Sunday - never really worked mind as folks just formed private clubs so I guess the same would happen with shops. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.

If Amazon have their way all shops in the future will have minimal or zero staff.

Apologies for the source.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13