Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Box Set' recommendations.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: 'Box Set' recommendations.

Thanks for that @DaveyH, I did watch some of Sneaky Pete way back but TBH didn't care for it much but I'll bear the others in mind once I've finished with Brassic and Chernobyl.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

iPlayer will cost you nothing - Wallander [Kenneth Branagh] is excellent.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

It is and I've already watched it, along with Montalbano series, George Genry, Silent Witness I've even watch Randal and Hopkirk

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

@VileReynard wrote:

iPlayer will cost you nothing 

Except the cost of a TV licence....

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Which you need anyway if you want to use a TV.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Pro

If you have access to Sky Go (or Sky itself) you coulld watch the two series of Riviera. An implausible combination of criminality and wealth but the scenery takes your mind off British weather!

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I have no issue paying this especially when they have things like Horizon*, Ian Hislop's History of Britain, A House through Time and Upstart Crow to name ones I counted with the fingers of one hand.

* Did anyone see Horizon last night about Pluto?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@TeeGee - Just read the synopsis on IMDb and it looks interesting, so if I get enough recommendations I'll maybe invest in the NowTV sub.

Highlighted
Pro

Not a box set but Channel 5 are doing a thre parter on Battle of Britain this year being the 80th anniversary.

I recommend this (though not keen on the preenters) to younger generations too who might realise what life ws like all those years ago.  Now we are allowed out I also recommend a visit to the RAF Memorial at Runnymede with a tranquil view over the Thames. Close your eyes and you can almost hear the doppler effect of a V12 Merlin passing overhead.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Funny you should mention that @TeeGee I'd set it to record tonight @ 21:00 Smiley

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mook wrote:

I did and found it very worthwhile watching - an excellent episode full of amazing surprises.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

@Mook wrote:

Not yet, but looking forward to that.

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

@Mook wrote:

Horizon*, Ian Hislop's History of Britain, A House through Time and Upstart Crow

Which would suggest that you've probably seen 'Detectorists'.

All three series, and the Christmas special still on iPlayer for 5 months. Just as good, if not better, second time around.

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

@VileReynard wrote:

Which you need anyway if you want to use a TV.

Sigh. No you don't.

You only need a licence for watching or recording programmes as they're being shown on TV or to access iPlayer.

You can legitimately use a TV for watching DVD/Blu-ray's, SVOD services, the other catch-up players etc without the need for a licence.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

They have no legal powers to enter your property, so you can refuse and say "Get Lost" (I can think of a more sweary version than that, but I'd better not say it 😇).

Gave me and my housemates grief when I was at University. We had one TV in the communial area. Someone who lived there prior to us had got a TV license and put the address on it as Room 5 additionally, where we lived and we just had one for the flat that had the five rooms. We done the right thing and got one for the address. Room 5 has come up as an additional line on the address, so we got nasty letters and visits.

So I rung them as they were nasty and said "As everyone has a separate tenancy agreement, you all have to get one". Eh so one for each of the 5 rooms? Even though there are no TV's in the rooms. I just had a monitor for my PC - which was useful as I studied Computer Science.

Anyway I said to my housemate do you have a TV in your room? "No he said". Right I put my legal cap on and filled out the form where there is option "There is no TV at this address". Technically there wasn't in the Room 5 address. So I sent that off and never heard from them again.

Besides, they're not doing too well to get Noel Edmons to pay his are they?