Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Box Set' recommendations.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

'Box Set' recommendations.

I'd be interested in your recommendations for something to watch in 'Box Set' format. The programs on the TV are, as we say in Scotland, keech. I'm currently coming to the end of Law and Order UK so looking for something new, I have subscriptions to Apple TV+, BritBox and Amazon Prime I wouldn't object getting a NowTV subscription for the right content.

I'll watch the majority of stuff but I just don't do Fantasy / Science Fiction or keech of that ilk, so LotR, Marvel, GoT etc are a non-starter for me. If you have any thoughts I'd really appreciate them, I know you might be thinking I could search the internet but that only works when one has an inkling of what to search for.

77 REPLIES 77
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: 'Box Set' recommendations.

Do you have access to all4 on your tv.

Lots of boxed sets on there, much of it is foreign so has subtitles but there is usually a bit of script which gives an idea of what it’s about.

Main thing....it free. 

😊

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Thanks @gleneagles I watch via an Apple TV device and I don't think that app's installed but I can easily do it. But here's the rub, I'd need to trawl through a lot of stuff before I found something which is why I'm looking for recommendations, based on what others have enjoyed.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

One thing I enjoyed was Chernobyl, it’s in 5 parts and highly rated.

Must confess I purchased the 2 box set on eBay, not sure if you can get it on nowtv.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

Line of duty, if you haven’t already.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I got the Hale and Pace box set (I like the comedy), but for some unknown reason it was only ever released in Australia. I can't remember where I got it from on-line now. I am not sure if it coded region 4 or region free.

I don't know why they still bother with region coding, but I will say no more about the workarounds or I will get told off.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Oh and another one while I think of it, is Londons Burning which was produced by LWT back it in the days ITV were good. So before Carlton took over and someone there with the false misguided assumption Ant and Dec have talent and watching programmes like 'I'm a celebrity' with people eating bugs is entertaing TV. Anyway I will shut up there!

I actually saw it being filmed when I studied my A levels, which was interesting. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Thank you all. I have watched Line of Duty and have them on DVD, in fact I've probably watched most detective series having watched everything from Vera to Foyle's War to Jonathan Creek.

As for Hale and Pace I don't know if 'The Management' will allow that and I have heard good thing about Chernobyl so I'll watch that next.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I can recommend Chernobyl.
If you have a weird sense of humour like me, then I can recommend a series that was in sky one but is now on demand called brassic. But beware the language is a bit colourful 😅👍
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@Shep41 When you say on demand do you mean NowTV?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mook 

Brassic series 1 appears to be available on Amazon Prime.  I'm not sure what the charging model is it but it appears you may have to pay extra for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brassic-Series-1/dp/B07Y8W3ZDG

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 50

Seasons 1 & 2 of Brassic are available on Now TV but there's only 8 days left to watch them.
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@RobPN On searching I see that Brassic is on Amazon Prime but for .66p more I can get the Series 1 DVD and at least I'd have something tangible for my money. @Browni if only I'd the time to watch them both in the 8 days, but a luxury I can't afford. So I've decided to by Brassic on DVD and Chernobyl on Blu-Ray.

Edit : Ordered on Amazon be here tomorrow. Smiley

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

I just checked out the opening seconds of Series 1 Episode 1 and saw one person sitting on a bridge parapet looking down at another lying on the ground below and thought to myself "I've already seen this".  It took me a few more seconds to realise I was thinking of a scene from 'The Young Offenders', a BBC3 series.  The very slightly similar hair-style helped to throw me.

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Mook wrote:

I'd be interested in your recommendations for something to watch in 'Box Set' format. The programs on the TV are, as we say in Scotland, keech. I'm currently coming to the end of Law and Order UK so looking for something new, I have subscriptions to Apple TV+, BritBox and Amazon Prime I wouldn't object getting a NowTV subscription for the right content.

I'll watch the majority of stuff but I just don't do Fantasy / Science Fiction or keech of that ilk, so LotR, Marvel, GoT etc are a non-starter for me. If you have any thoughts I'd really appreciate them, I know you might be thinking I could search the internet but that only works when one has an inkling of what to search for.

On Amazon I'd recommend The Man In The High Castle, Mr. Robot, Sneaky Pete and Bosch for starters,

On Britbox Broadchurch and Now TV Gangs of London.

If you don't mind subtitles the All4 has a fairly extensive collection of foreign drama via "Walter Presents". I'd recommend Deutschland 83 as a good start.

Whilst on All4 The End of the [-Censored-] World is very good if you like dark comedy/drama.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.