Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bowel cancer screening to start earlier at age 50 in England

8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Bowel cancer screening to start earlier at age 50 in England

This is very good news lets hope everyone who gets a pack sends the samples off.

At 60 I sent off my sample and the result was inconclusive so I was asked to do another test which also came back as inconclusive I showed no signs so its was a shock

I had a colonoscopy and a small bowel cancer was found

I had keyhole surgery followed by a course of chemotherapy now almost ten years later I am gladly still clear   

After I was diagnosed a few of my colleagues who had binned their packs asked for a new pack and sent them off 

So everyone please return your pack when you receive one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45143895

Brian A

6 REPLIES
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Bowel cancer screening to start earlier at age 50 in England

Yep agreed, so easy to do. I have a friend whose husband is a consultant and he said you wouldn't believe the number of people who don't return them.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I read somewhere in the last year or so that they were considering stopping this routine screening as it produced only a tiny number of positive results.  Glad it is continuing.  Early detection saves the NHS money and, above all, saves lives.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Jonpe

I read somewhere in the last year that the old type test was being replaced with another, better type, which doesn't involve cardboard poo sticks.  Smiley

I just Googled and found this.

Edit:  I hadn't bothered to read the BBC article linked to above but have now glanced at it and I see that the new type test is mentioned there!  Embarrassed

Fixes: 123

I've had a few of these tests and always returned the samples.

Not the most pleasant of tests to perform but mine have always returned results clear.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

Yes a simple test to do and even simpler with the new kit in the autumn.

According to Cancer Research UK bowel cancer is the fourth in the table of common cancers.

Common Cancers

The test is still available after age 74 but it has to be requested.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Good that screening is being done, as doctors are not always that good at spotting obvious signs, the old ones who've seen it all before in particular. 

If the disease is found early the prognosis is good too, unlike for stomach, esophageal  and  pancreatic cancers  that too often are found late, and into which not enough research is funded.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.