Bouncing Bomb...... ! 19:00 to 20:00 Tonight

The Dambusters: 70 Years On
BBC2 London 7:00pm-8:00pm (1 hour ) Thu 16 May
( from TV guide )
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Bouncing Bomb...... ! 19:00 to 20:00 Tonight

Just looking at that.
Quite a few roads where my mother lives at Reculver are named after Barnes Wallace as there was a lot of testing done here..
On 17 May 2003, a Lancaster bomber overflew the Reculver testing site to commemorate the 60th anniversary but haven't seen or heard of anything commemorating the 70th Anniversary Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Javert
Grafter

Also tonight on BBC2 @ 23:20pm - “Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams”.
Tomorrow’s “Friday Night is Music Night” (BBC Radio 2 @ 8pm) is “The Dambusters 70 Years On” - The iconic story will be re-told with music from the BBC Concert Orchestra and the Central Band of the RAF, live at Biggin Hill Airport. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sd1cr
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I regularly visit LadyBower (Derwent) Reservoir.
But not weekends, nor Bank Holidays.
it's a nice long walk around the reservoir.

One day, a few years back, and not on any Anniversary date...... there was this noise............ then.........

A Lancaster Bomber flew along the reservoir, turned round, and came back !

Amazing site, and there was no-one else around.
I presume it was rehearsing for a later date.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having taken part in many "ceremonial sunsets", as colour party, bandsman, and ceremonial guard. I was particularly impressed with the superb precision of the RAF Ceremonial Guard on the show tonight.  I cannot remember seeing any guard which could come anywhere near to perfection, than this one.  Well Impressed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
On 17 May 2003, a Lancaster bomber overflew the Reculver testing site to commemorate the 60th anniversary but haven't seen or heard of anything commemorating the 70th Anniversary Sad

Nothing at reculver really though is there. I know its popular with dog walkers but thats about it isn't it? When you go there you get an eery sense that the place had a past but these days it seems kind of desolate. From memory there is a camping site, pub and a small arcade. Not much is it!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Just read that there will be a fly-past by a 'World War II' aircraft (Dakota) on Sunday at 11am. according to the local rag.
You're right, Sprite, sod all at Reculver (or even Herne Bay) although both do have quite a fair bit of history to tell.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Don't get me started on Herne Bay lol. Very quiet place but better than some! Whitstable is insanely boring too but it does at least have railway history!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
Having taken part in many "ceremonial sunsets", as colour party, bandsman, and ceremonial guard. I was particularly impressed with the superb precision of the RAF Ceremonial Guard on the show tonight.   I cannot remember seeing any guard which could come anywhere near to perfection, than this one.  Well Impressed.

Indeed yes, The Queens Colour Squadron is well known and admired for its drill precision. Even the Brigades of Guards <not unknown for their expertise> are known to admire it. Don't know if they still perform it but they used to do a "show piece" entirely without orders. I can tell you that from some drill experience that is no mean feat.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Just read that there will be a fly-past by a 'World War II' aircraft (Dakota) on Sunday at 11am. according to the local rag.
You're right, Sprite, sod all at Reculver (or even Herne Bay) although both do have quite a fair bit of history to tell.

Wonder if that will be on TV Undecided
Herne Bay often features as the warmest place in the UK in daily temperature readings, which makes it popular with holidaymakers.
I often went to Whitstable for the seafood restaurants.
Community Veteran

Whats nice about Whitstable is that there are no big chain stores. Instead they're all locally owned / run businesses which makes it pretty unique compared to many places. There is one exception, I think there is a co-op or summerfields in the High St. The rest of its uniqueness does make it exciting for shoppers who have never been there before.
Oh did I mention it also has railway history?  Cheesy

Quote from: artmo
Herne Bay often features as the warmest place in the UK in daily temperature readings,

Since moving to the area back in 2002 we've frequently noticed how surrounding areas are raining or covered in cloud yet Herne Bay has been clear and dry.
@Sprite I agree, Whitstable still seems to have that very 'local' feel to it and can be a welcome change to shop there. Herne Bay just seems to get more depressing year on year.

Community Veteran

I remember there used to be a pub/hotel on the front in Herne Bay that was owned by Peter Noon of Herman and the Hermits. I imagine it's long gone now.

The only reference I could find was to a hotel that he bought for his parents. No pictures.

Community Veteran

His gold discs were on the walls in the bar.