cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boris

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Boris

I Can't make my mind up about Boris, would he be any good as a PM ?
It's easy to dismiss him due to the image he creates as a buffoon but to be a fairly well liked mayor of London he can't be that much of a fool.
Of course he comes out with foot in the mouth statements at times but that seem par for the course these days with Politicians & others in high places.
12 REPLIES
gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: Boris

I'm not a conservative and a lot of his issues I don't agree with BUT he does seem much more intelligent than he appears and for the most part has  done fantastic things with London that I do agree with.
randpwar
Grafter

Don't like his politics and, for that matter, not especially keen on the man. This bumbling professor / fool thing does nothing for me
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/28/boris-johnson-iq-intelligence-gordon-gekko
WTF
Grafter

The buffoonery is a handy cover for the evil, I guess ..
In his speech last week he out-Romney-ed Romney by declaring 99.9% of the British population - i.e. everyone not as rich and priviliged as himself - a genetic sub-class.  Apparently, if your parents couldn't afford to put you through Eton, you are genetically flawed and should know your place, i.e. grovelling in gratitude before the uber-class like himself .. apparently totally forgetting that they are the very people who devastated - and almost completely destroyed - the global economy but 5 years ago and had to bailed out by the rest of us.
He also - irony of ironies for a conservative who's government has spent the last 3 years increased taxes for the poor while simultaneously cutting them for the rich - claimed that we should all be grateful for the pittance of tax the rich deign to pay.
As for him being PM - that really would be disaster.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think he was talking about IQ and like most graphs a higher cluster appears in the middle gradually tailing off in each direction.
People with a High IQ in general terms may have a better opportunity in life but not all will take it but those with a much lower IQ will find it harder to be successful.(yes you could also argue what the definition of a successful life is)
IQ is a very subjective thing and not that accurate, for example you would expect virtually all those people who were members of MENSA to have top positions or Jobs in society but this is not the case.
I Can see what he was trying to get at but presented it badly.
The Tax on Rich People is interesting, the figures speak for themselves so I will not repeat them here but Tax on rich people should not be confused with the Lack of Tax paid by many large companies such as Starbucks, Amazon et al.
Also remember the rich can move to other countries, the French decided to increase taxes for the rich and what happened ? some even moved to London !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Quote from: WTF
In his speech last week he out-Romney-ed Romney by declaring 99.9% of the British population - i.e. everyone not as rich and priviliged as himself - a genetic sub-class.  Apparently, if your parents couldn't afford to put you through Eton, you are genetically flawed and should know your place, i.e. grovelling in gratitude before the uber-class like himself .. apparently totally forgetting that they are the very people who devastated - and almost completely destroyed - the global economy but 5 years ago and had to bailed out by the rest of us

Wow!
No way to respond to such nonsense and stay civil ..

Says it all
Community Veteran

I think he is an extremely clever politician and doesn't do anything without it being carefully thought through.  I think his goal is to lead the Conservative Party and become PM.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
In his speech last week he out-Romney-ed Romney by declaring 99.9% of the British population - i.e. everyone not as rich and priviliged as himself - a genetic sub-class.  Apparently, if your parents couldn't afford to put you through Eton, you are genetically flawed and should know your place, i.e. grovelling in gratitude before the uber-class like himself .. apparently totally forgetting that they are the very people who devastated - and almost completely destroyed - the global economy but 5 years ago and had to bailed out by the rest of us

Says it all

Actually, an only slightly exagerated summary of his speech - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/27/boris-johnson-thatcher-greed-good
Fixes: 123

Quote from: gnicholson8
I'm not a conservative and a lot of his issues I don't agree with BUT he does seem much more intelligent than he appears and for the most part has  done fantastic things with London that I do agree with.

Ken Livingstone had a similar effect on me. Never liked his politics but he was/is a great orator and can be quite fascinating to listen to especially when he get on the subject of his newts Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Actually, an only slightly exagerated summary of his speech - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/27/boris-johnson-thatcher-greed-good
Grossly exaggerated and almost totally inaccurate
From your link
"Whatever you may think of the value of IQ tests it is surely relevant to a conversation about equality that as many as 16% of our species have an IQ below 85 while about 2% …" he said as he departed from the text of his speech to ask whether anyone in his City audience had a low IQ. To muted laughter he asked: "Over 16% anyone? Put up your hands." He then resumed his speech to talk about the 2% who have an IQ above 130.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I think he is an extremely clever politician and doesn't do anything without it being carefully thought through.

Lips are sealed
Gabe
PowerLee
Rising Star

Boris as pm, why not?
A lot of people in the UK like Boris even if they don't agree with some of the things he says, it would make a nice change for someone with a bit of character to be in charge as pm then just another boring suit.
Fixes: 47

Yep he's certainly a character all right....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation