cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borders in Europe

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Borders in Europe

Has anyone recently travelled through various countries in Europe ?

What happens when you reach the border ? Is there a long queue and do you need a passport to get from one european country to another ?

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Borders in Europe

if you are going from, say france to germany then there is no "border", you just continue driving/walking etc.
any country inside the EU there are no borders.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

of course, to get to mainland europe you would have needed your passport anyway, but you won't be ask for it once inside mainland europe between countries.

of course, if you board a flight then you'll need your passport.

Community Veteran

OK,

Thanks.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I think Gibralter ask for your passport before entering. They did when I went there a few years ago anyway.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Gibraltar, is "aligned" to the U.K... and has many of it`s laws... etc..,  however.. as I understand it... you do not need a passport to LEAVE the U.K.   but you will need one to get back in... ! .   same as going to Gib.

I assume that when you leave the U.K... they check your passport as a "matter of courtesy"... making sure you have one, so that you will not have problems when you come back.... Smiley

Community Veteran

@shutter

Whilst that is correct I wonder what would happen if you refused to show your passport when leaving the country ?

I suspect they would refuse to let you fly in case you did not have a passport when arriving in another country and the airline would have to stand the cost of your flight back to the UK as you would have been denied entry into that country.

nadger
Rising Star

Whenever we book Eurotunnel by phone we are reminded to carry our passports ( don't book online as use Tesco Boost)

For a while now we've had to complete online Advanced Passenger Detail which is passport details of people travelling.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/advance-passenger-information/

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

you do not need a passport to LEAVE the U.K.   but you will need one to get back in... ! .   same as going to Gib.

I assume that when you leave the U.K... they check your passport as a "matter of courtesy"

But everytime i've been abroad in the EU I've had to show my passport? - Is there anything online you can show to backup what you say as I'm curoious about this now and was thinking the other day it's unfair that the rest of the EU can travel between countries without one while we're forced to show one just to escape.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Whilst that is correct I wonder what would happen if you refused to show your passport when leaving the country ?

Why would you want to refuse to show your passport?

Fixes: 125

7up wrote:

shutter wrote:

you do not need a passport to LEAVE the U.K.   but you will need one to get back in... ! .   same as going to Gib.

I assume that when you leave the U.K... they check your passport as a "matter of courtesy"

But everytime i've been abroad in the EU I've had to show my passport?

Isn't that more to do with the carrier's requirementsUndecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

From the amount of times I have travelled over either by tunnel or ferry, It never ceased to amaze me just how many times my passport was not asked for - especially the tunnel although I guess things have changed somewhat in the last five years. Airports of course are a different kettle of fish all together! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 105

you need a passport to enter sweden, they've introduced ID checks.

queues are pretty big in schipol airport at the moment coming from UK and CDG has been painful for months when doing a transfer
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 105

chenks76 wrote:

of course, if you board a flight then you'll need your passport.

not if travelling in schengen.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

how would you get into shengen without a passport?
and to board any flight anywhere you need a recognised form of photo ID, that's gonna be a passport isn't it.

note that i said "board the flight" i didn't state any particular destination.

Community Veteran

If you flew from the UK to a Shengen country you would need a passport. You could then travel around Shengen countries without the need of a passport but simply using an ID card. I know of people who travel around Europe and don't have a passport.