Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booze in News

Community Veteran

Booze in News

Saw this in the St Pete Times today.  Can this be true?Huh
Booze in news
If you aren't drunk enough, it's free!
The Attic bar in Newcastle, England, has installed a breathalyzer for its patrons to use as they are leaving. If this sounds like a highly responsible thing to do, it is only because you haven't heard the whole story yet. The bar hosts a party on Tuesday nights, called Trashed, and they guarantee your drunkenness. "If you're legal to drive at 3 a.m., we'll refund your entry money," promotional materials say, "because ... we've failed in our mission." Every health, police and civic official quoted by the Daily Mail had a problem with this promotion.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Booze in News

If its in the Daily Mail, then I guess it must be true!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
scootie
Grafter

the bar owners would of knowin that it would be stoped before long. i belive this is just another clever case of free advertising
Community Veteran

You could be right ASBO but is  it the sort of publicity they would want?  Can't imagine the Police and licencing authorities would be too happy.
scootie
Grafter

can a night club actualy be bad in the eyes of the punters thoe?
the police can shut them down but thats unlikely as the goverment love to collect tax from booze.
they will just get a little slap by the powers that be and told to stop the promotion.
but its done its job now as even i know the name of the club in newcastle and i live hours away
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Is that really the Daily Mail?
I can believe how it would be their story, just didn't realise how easily they could be manipulated.
Still, it must haved saved them from tens of thousand of pounds in advertising costs .. so I can't blame them.
Lurker
Grafter

Since the licensing reforms, the Police have very little say in whether a license is granted or not.
They have to be able to demonstrate specific reasoning for turning down a license application - it's not just down to their opinion (as it used to be)
Indeed, for a temporary premises license, I only need to write to the council and police to let them know that I'm licensing a premise for the sale of alcohol - they have no ability to refuse.
Licensing is complicated, but its a lot easier than it used to be. (No need to ask why an IT bod needs an alcohol license...)
scootie
Grafter

james_g you thinking of opening a cyber bar  Smiley
Fixes: 47

What a great idea......
Laptop on the draining board and you can have a drink with your mates while washing the pots Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

James_G does that also apply to a landlord applying for a licence to operate permanently on a commercial basis?
Lurker
Grafter

It depends which part.
The Police Superintendent is notified of your application so he/she can raise objections, but specific permission is neither sought nor required.
The objection from the Police can only be because of specific grounds, and must be supported by evidence.
The licensing body (typically your local council these days) can impose restrictions if they want, but its entirely up to them. (Examples include specific areas where dancing is allowed, and areas where it is not. The licensing body typically will restrict the hours that outside areas might be used in built up areas, and what for, and may decide on what hours alcohol may be served.)
The other point is that there are two types of licenses, both of which must be present before you could permanently operate; You need a Premises License, which would have the conditions attached as mentioned above, and you also need a Personal License. The Personal License holder is the person who is responsible for sale of alcohol on a premise which a Premises License is in force (or a premise where they have notified the Licensing Body that they are introducing a temporary license).
Both licenses must be available for inspection on the premises, although the Personal License holder may delegate responsibility to other people (typically a pub manager might name his/her supervisors as delegate, or might request that they apply for and gain personal licenses in their own right)
It is, as you might gather pretty convoluted to try and cover every eventuality, but generally each specific case is pretty easy to cater for (if that makes any sense at all!)
Community Veteran

If a pub manager who had a personal license takes a night off does someone else who stands in for him need his own license?
Thank you for your very informative answer.
Lurker
Grafter

No they don't, but the personal license holder is still responsible for the actions of the person they leave in charge.
So, (assuming you have no license) if I were to leave you to run my (hypothetical) pub, and you were to serve an underage customer, you would be liable for breaking the law, and I would be liable for breaching the terms of my license.
I could have my license revoked, and also face the possibility of further action (depending on circumstances, eg if they thought it were a common occurrence, or that I perhaps knew about it).
If you take a chain pub as an example, a distant regional manager would be unsuitable as a Personal License holder, as they would be taking responsibility for something they have very little chance of effectively managing and policing.
Typically, as well as the Manager, you would also expect at least one Assistant Manager to be a personal license holder.
This allows for continuous cover if a manger were to leave, and also helps instil the best practices and regulations into everyday operation.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the reply.
OK OK I'll ask Wink  How do you do the walking man?
scootie
Grafter

Smiley yeah thats well smart