cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boots to close 160 film processing labs

Fixes: 125

Boots to close 160 film processing labs

Nottingham-based company Boots puts 200 jobs at risk
The Nottingham-based company said instant print services were more popular and traditional developing would be available, but outsourced.

As I child I regularly used the local Boots although I am sure back then they sent the rolls of film off as it usually took a week. But I remember the excitement of receiving the prints (often many having a big sticker informing you of where you went wrong) as being a large part of the photographic experience.
It's just not the same viewing shots directly on an LCD screen but, he ho, it's progress Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Boots to close 160 film processing labs

I use Jessops.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes I remember those stickers, I used to get "insufficient light" or "not holding the camera steady" Cheesy
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I used Gratispool in my monochrome days.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

I almost always used to do my own processing.
I started in the cellar with a dish with a spanner inside, looping the film under it and dragging it back and forth through the developer before rinsing and fixing.
I then progressed to a developing tank with a spiral insert to take a 36 frame 35mm film.
Happy days. Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Ahh the good old Hydroquinone, great for panchromatic film.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Hi  Strat,
That was "a blast from the past", I bet you had a few panics when you got 90% of a 36 exposure 35mm film into the spiral. I used to use the Johnson one, the 120 film version was a breeze, but the 35mm !!!!
Community Veteran

Remember the Ektachrome colour slide developing kits, I've still got (somewhere) the recipe for 'cooking' colour slides film for a higher asa rating.
Trying to photograph stars f2.8 at a fortnight was a much banded phrase
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think it was  fairly expensive to do your own printing at home considering the cost of chemicals which had to be used by a certain date. Taking prints in for developing and printing was a lot cheaper but you had no control over the final outcome.
Looking at some of my old photographs (apart from the memories they contain) the quality is rubbish when compared to what can be done with digital photos and a good software package.
Only wish digital had been available in my younger days as I was very interested in photography but did not have the funds to do much of it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Used to home process slides in E6 kits (I think it was E6? or something like it)
But you're right gleneagles, I don't think it was cheaper there was a lot of kit other than just the chemical kit needed; slide frames, frame press, changing bag (I didn't have access to a darkroom) processing tanks, I'm pretty sure it was easier to take the film cassettes to the chemy.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yes it was E6 kits, sadly there were no chemist where I was living/working, we had use of a well stocked darkroom though, it was DIY or nothing.
@gleneagles:- your right the colour & quality was rubbish, but the record was good for comparison of same locations today.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: colintivy
I bet you had a few panics when you got 90% of a 36 exposure 35mm film into the spiral

This item was a lifesaver...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation