cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boots Bags

Anonymous
Not applicable

Boots Bags

Boots will stop offering plastic bags at tills in a move to take 40million a year out of circulation and do away with 900 tons of single-use plastic.

Starting today, the health and beauty giant will start the switch to strong, brown paper bags as standard.

The change will be seen in 53 stores this week and then be extended to all the company’s 2,485 outlets by early next year. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7173213/High-street-giant-Boots-ban-plastic-bags-replace-br...

12 REPLIES 12
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Boots Bags

Which still leaves 2,432 of their stores giving out plastic bags. Sad

But it's a start. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

What I find amazing is that so few people actually go out shopping without taking their own bags with them - there are plenty of relatively cheap, strong, multi-use ones available.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, but shopping bags are just the visible tip of the plastic iceberg. All to the good the likes of Boots giving out paper bags but this is all to little, to late, and stinks of self promotion.

Remember the days when we only had just the one dustbin? Jeepers, even those are made of plastic now and all of them are being filled with... plastic.

All our fault, of course. Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well well, who'd have thought it. Roll_eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-48749218

Anonymous
Not applicable

The new paper bags will initially be available in just 53 of its 2,485 stores, with all of Boots' outlets using paper by early 2020, and are aimed at customers who have not brought their own bag.

However, prescriptions assembled at its central pharmacy will still be sent out in sealed plastic packaging

Our local Pharmacy supplies medicines in unsealed plastic prescription bags at the moment, if requested.

Note: Prescription bags are exempt from the 5p CARRIER BAG CHARGE.

Perhaps Boots central pharmacy will supply medicines in brown paper parcels tied up with string in the future ?

(Or enormous Amazon style cardboard boxes !!)

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Used to get paper bags from Sainsbury's when younger and collect the cardboard boxes from the tills to stack stuff. Don't see the problem with going back to that, except cardboard is a commodity now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our local Tesco used to place lots of cardboard boxes by the tills, until they were removed as a fire hazard.

Now it's just one box per till, but very useful when you forget to take your bags in store.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Who forgets to take a bag into a store these days and besides, just a couple of ticks to go back out to the car to get a couple surely? 

Having said that only a couple of weeks back I actually did forget although to be fair, the Mrs was not with me so... Anyways, along with some funny looks from shoppers I just took my half full basket out to the car, and job done.  

Sure I couild have bought a dumb looking plastic bag for 10p at the checkout but err, I don't think so. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

@Anonymous wrote:

Note: Prescription bags are exempt from the 5p CARRIER BAG CHARGE.

Most of the bags are already exempt, it's just that the retailers choose to charge 5p anyway.

Only single use bags are chargeable.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I, like many, used to recycle single use bags as bin bags often finding a bag full at a dump as I walk past. When the charges first came in the dumped bags disappeared so I ended up buying the odd pack of bin liners.

Things now have clearly moved on with many just absorbing the extra charge as part of their routine shopping. So once again I now often find a bag full of plastic bags at the same dumping place. The only difference now is they are the so called bigger thicker and heavier bags for life.

So as far as I can see very little has changed.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Since the 5p charge was introduced I've only bought one single bag.  I usually remember to grab my carrier bags as I leave the house and shove them in a pocket.  I keep 3 x old-type strongish carrier bags inside each other (triple thickness) and re-use them until they've worn out, usually limiting my shop to what will fit in one bag when on foot.

Triple-lining the bags has several advantages;

1.  Stronger bag so less danger of bag failing.

2.  Increased handle thickness spreads the handle pressure on fingers.

3.  I have spare capacity if the planned one-bag shop is exceeded (just remove the outer bag and use separately).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote in 2016:

6 months in we are still working our way through a Wheelie Bin full of Carrier Bags, we find these very useful around the house.

The Heron ones are also useful in the shed, again being very sturdy...

We did purchase 1,000 carrier bags last year, as yet untouched.....

4 years later, we still have a few carrier bags to use up !

And the 1,000 carrier bags we purchased remain unused !

Tesco Jute (like Hessian)  and Heron bags are kept in the car, the Heron bags last around a year.

The Jute ones seem to last forever, we don't use them for Chicken, Fish etc though, even though they are lined.

Excellent for tinned goods.