Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books,

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Books,

What sort of books do you read .?
Do you have one or more authors that you tend to follow more than others.
Is most of your reading still paperback books or read on a kindle or tablet ?
Personally I don't follow a specific author but have read most of the popular Swedish novels  along with a few books in the top 20 in the charts .
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Books,

I have three favourite authors in almost opposite genres, Bill Bryson and James Clavell and Leslie Thomas, returning to their books at fairly regular intervals. In between I will read anything from Greek Mythology to Astro Physics, with a leaning towards military history through the centuries, I will even read the back of Corn Flake packets. If it has printed words I will read it.
I much prefer to use my beloved Kindle Paperwhite, with which I resisted for a long time always claiming to not being able to replace "proper" books, that was until I tried one (the earlier Kindle) I was immediately hooked.
Kindle cannot replace books of technical subjects with drawings and diagrams in large page formats <although they do try, usually pretty unsuccessfully in my opinion> 
So the upshot is I read all types of books in all sorts of formats.
One thing has slightly amused me in forty years of marriage (this year) Mrs P (who isn't a reader) is always asking me why I can read the same book several times, ignoring that she will often watch the same DVD several times quite close together, and will not accept its the same principle.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Scifi/Fantasy mostly but my favourite authors have died, Anne McCaffrey / Robert Jordan / David Eddings.  Those that still live, Tad Williams / Stephen Donaldson, Terry Pratchett of course.
I mostly read them as hard backed books, but I have bought some on audio DVD's after a skiing holiday, when one guy in a skiing lesson had Faulty towers on his mp3 player.  I never considered using audio books till that point, but with some wordy authors it can be helpful.  I tend to scan read pass descriptive paragraphs, so I can miss a lot trying to filter out the waffling descriptions of locations.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I read a lot of history books (Modern European History).
I'm a big fan of Franz Kafka/Jean-Paul Sartre/Dostojewskij/Nietzsche/Freud.
Infinity
Pro

Have you seen this ?
Is it of any use to anyone ?
Not sure if it is just mac specific.
FREE eBooks in Apple iTunes / iBooks..... Hundreds of them.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130461.0.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I gravitate towards fantasy books (not erotic, adult fantasy) as the first book I read was 'The hobbit' when I was six.
I now read new authors and amateur authors work on a site called Wattpad. This means I can flit from author to author and genre to genre on a whim.
randpwar
Grafter

Anything by Philip K Dick. I also have to read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller every 5 years or so just to remain sane  Cheesy
Have been looking at Ian McEwan lately
myredhotcar
Grafter

Catch 22 is a great book.
Currently reading on my tablet having given my ancient PRS-505 away. Really enjoyed Keith Thomas' books http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keith-Thomas/e/B000APRHLA, ditto Albert Camus (especially The Fall which isn't regarded as his best work AFAIK). Iain Banks' books are largely excellent, at least the ones I have read. Recently enjoyed Children of Dust by Ali Eteraz but haven't been reading as many books as of late due to a nasty Wikipedia habit.
One fiction book I consistently recommend is The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman by Bruce Robinson (Withnail and I).
Fixes: 121

I've just got all the original Ian Flemming James Bond novels to read on my tablet.
I don't read as much as I used to when younger Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

myredhotcar
Grafter

Hi Mav have you heard of Project Gutenberg? If not it's a great place to get free ebooks in many different formats, all older books though as they publish once copyright runs out.
Fixes: 121

Thanks for the link. I'll keep it for later. Starting next month I will have three OU modules running at the same time plus the 14 Ian Flemming books so I'd better not add anything else Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
What sort of books do you read .? .

None.
I'm trying to delay acknowledging that i need reading glasses for as long as possible  Tongue
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I've just got all the original Ian Flemming James Bond novels to read on my tablet.

Read them - they are better than the films (and I'm a massive fan of the old 007 films).
myredhotcar
Grafter

What are you studying with the OU Mav, if you can excuse my nosiness?
TORPC
Grafter

^^^^^^^^ Now that is Honesty when you see it ^^^^^^^^^ Wink Smiley