cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books you read?

jmd
Grafter

Books you read?

I know we have had posts about music but I am just curious about what sort of books people read [if they do?].
I enjoy rather gory murder mysteries or detective stories by people like Val McDermid, Quentin Jardine, Ian Rankin and Stephen Booth etc.
My choice might appear odd given what I have said I do on another thread - but what do you read? Smiley
29 REPLIES
Captainkirk
Grafter

Re: Books you read?

I love science fiction/fantasy novels Josie - really like David Eddings, Trudy Canavan and Stephen Donaldson to name but a few.  Studying  English in the Access course has made me read things I'd never have picked up if I didn't have to like Shakespeare and poetry.  We read The Color Purple which if I'm honest, had I not have had to study it, I would have returned after the first three or four pages - glad I was forced to read it though as it was a really good book.  Looking forward to starting the degree as the reading list is quite diverse and ranges from Shakespeare (again!) to Gothic novels and some modern works.
Now look....you've got me rabbiting on  Wink
Tracey
Fixes: 47

Last post for me tonight.
As a youngster I read and read Sci-Fi...anything I could get hold of.
My last read was Eric Clapton's Autobiography, a birthday present.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Bob_Milton
Grafter

My bedtime reading at the moment is Alan Bennett's 'Untold Stories'
Good Night All.
Fixes: 105

Read all sorts, including the chick lit my OH leaves lying around Smiley
However Terry Pratchett, Michael Crichton, John Grisham, Stephen King and Tom Clancy are probably my must reads.
Also loved the roman novels by Steven Saylor and Lindsey Davis.
Don't you find that you get some interesting insights for your sermons from novels?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

These days, the only books I tend to read are ones connected to courses I'm studying at university... I used to like reading fiction, and I'm sure I still do, but if ever I want to do something relaxing I always opt for listening to music or playing the piano these days (after all, I am taking a music degree).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm a great fan of James Clavell. And read Shogun at least once a year. Otherwise I'll read practically anything from Greek mythology to Patrick Robinson. I do like non-fiction though, one of my favorites is "The Perfect Machine" which tracks the history of building the Palomar 200" telescope the worlds biggest (then) Another is Vulcan 607, which covers the build up and operation of the Vulcan bombing mission during the Falklands war...fascinating.
Not a great biography reader, but read the biog of Tommy Steele recently and quite enjoyed that.
My wife fails to understand how or why I read books several times.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Don't you find that you get some interesting insights for your sermons from novels?

Not sure that the insights I get from reading about gory murders and nasty perverted murderers are ones that the congregation are likely to appreciate! Roll eyes

[Incidentally I do not like watching them on TV especially Val McDermid ones]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You probably can guess what kind of books I read, from my previous posts.... but I also like a good "murder mystery".... I don`t know books by authors, if the cover catches my eye, and it looks like it might be interesting, then  I will read it.... May not finish it, but at least I got started.... Also like those books by Readers Digest, with four  condensed books in them.... Have just finished one about Richard Branson, and how he started his business career, and the development to present day millionaire...
Someone mentioned Tom Clancy, I remember his name, but can`t remember the book, but it was a good story.... Smiley

BTW For the Military types on this forum, when I said this
Quote from: Strat

I didn't mean it literally...or even literary.
I've read very few books that I've also seen translated to the cinema as it's not usually a good idea.
Fixes: 105

Quote from: jmdlp
Not sure that the insights I get from reading about gory murders and nasty perverted murderers are ones that the congregation are likely to appreciate! Roll eyes

Ok fair point Wink
I read a novel which described Nero's treatment of Christians, which was interesting and useful for giving a jolt to a half asleep congregation  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Strat

My condolences to your family. Wink
I am rather partial to the work of Ian Banks at the moment. Good stories, plenty of twists and turns and dark humour throughout.

You're very kind Undecided
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
I read a novel which described Nero's treatment of Christians, which was interesting and useful for giving a jolt to a half asleep congregation   Grin

Oh, are you a preacher too? or Vicar? or something? Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Probably "something"  Cheesy Grin Cheesy