Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books for Christmas

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Books for Christmas

Any recommendations?

For SciFi addicts my suggestion is Cixin Liu – “The Three-body problem” trilogy.

Synopsis:-

1967: Ye Wenjie witnesses Red Guards beat her father to death during China's Cultural Revolution. This singular event will shape not only the rest of her life but also the future of mankind.

Four decades later, Beijing police ask nanotech engineer Wang Miao to infiltrate a secretive cabal of scientists after a spate of inexplicable suicides. Wang's investigation will lead him to a mysterious online game and immerse him in a virtual world ruled by the intractable and unpredictable interaction of its three suns.

This is the Three-Body Problem and it is the key to everything: the key to the scientists' deaths, the key to a conspiracy that spans light-years and the key to the extinction-level threat humanity now faces.

6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero

Re: Books for Christmas

Think I'll stick with that other sci-fi publication, and Luke 2:1-20 Wink

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+2%3A1-20

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Mine would have to be Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee

Maycomb, Alabama. Twenty-six-year-old Jean Louise Finch – ‘Scout’ – returns home from New York City to visit her ageing father, Atticus. Set against the backdrop of the civil rights tensions and political turmoil that were transforming the South, Jean Louise’s homecoming turns bittersweet when she learns disturbing truths about her close-knit family, the town and the people dearest to her. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt. Featuring many of the iconic characters from To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman perfectly captures a young woman, and a world, in painful yet necessary transition out of the illusions of the past – a journey that can be guided only by one’s own conscience.

If you've read or watched 'To Kill a Mockingbird' then this is a must read.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman

Now my thoughts on religion mirror your own but it's a bit unfair to keep making reference to the same book in your posts as there are several other religious books in the same category which you  could have mentioned, I suspect you did not as your post would have been deleted.

Which even you would regard as unfair.

Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Do I keep mentioning the bible, and if I did would that be unfair?

If so, my defense would be that we reference what we have some knowledge of as after all, I know nothing of the Koran other than it's written back to front - but then that's a Western perspective of course. One book I have read (or at least tried to) is the Bhagavad Gita but, like so many religious texts it's quite draining for the uninitiated unbeliever - in fact, a bit of a curate's egg you might say!

It is a fact though that certain religions come for a fair bit of stick but then like politicians and Union leaders, if you put yourself up on a pedestal to preach, be prepared to be criticised. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If I could afford it... I would have three books for christmas ( and new year )..

1.  Book a forren holiday

2.  Book a flight out

3..  Book a flight back.....

( well maybe not the third one.... but....  ! ! ! !)   Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

And buy a proper book for when you are stuck in the departure lounge - you might even find time to read the complete works of Shakspeare - if you've a mind to. Wink