cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookcases and where to get them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Bookcases and where to get them.

I’m looking to buy some book cases for my office as things are getting out of hand, the office is starting to resemble the aftermath of an explosion in a library!

Doing a search I can find lots of various options some having crazy pricing for what in some cases is nothing more than a wide stepped step ladder!

On looking at the Dunelm site they have a Rome Modular 9 cube option that looks promising (and well priced) but I’d like to know if anyone has these shelves and what they think of them and secondly does anyone have their own recommendations.

7 REPLIES
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Bookcases and where to get them.

For our home we found that Ikea's Billy range was perfect. Cheap, easy to assemble and a range of sizes for most uses.

I know I am singing praises too loud and I am not am employee. Used them for many years.

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have friends who have Ikea Billy bookcases and use them for storing DVDs or Blu-Rays.

One positive is that you can buy extra shelves for them, not cheap though.  I think we worked it out that it was cheaper to buy another bookcase, use the shelves from it and then cut the rest down to make a few more shelves.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collections/billy/

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I was thinking of Ikea too, and if you have one locally it is worth a visit.

I think I have some Billy bookcases too, but they're not big ones.

Baldrick1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 70

If you can fix to a wall consider using Twin Slot wall strips and brackets. I bought shelves from my local timber merchant. With dividers this does everything that sectioned boxes do with flexibility on shelf separation and width. See RB UK shelving  https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=rb+uk+shelf

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Just been to the IKEA site to look at the Billy range and was suitably impressed so I put 4 units in my basket and went to the checkout, only to be told that they wanted £35 to deliver them. Fair enough it is 60 miles to IKEA from here but seriously £35 that is the price of a complete case!

So I looked at ScrewFix but I’d need to get the tape measure out to get an accurate price and there are so many more options when using these as with a bit of careful planning I could get a corner fitting as well. I have even found melamine shelves on Wickes so I think I’ll go down this route so thanks @Baldrick1

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I suppose you've looked in the obvious places like Oxfam and other charities furniture shops. The couple of big ones near me always seem to have some good book shelves. And not the usual flat pack chipboard junk which probably goes to the dump and not the charity shop.