cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookcases and where to get them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Bookcases and where to get them.

I’m looking to buy some book cases for my office as things are getting out of hand, the office is starting to resemble the aftermath of an explosion in a library!

Doing a search I can find lots of various options some having crazy pricing for what in some cases is nothing more than a wide stepped step ladder!

On looking at the Dunelm site they have a Rome Modular 9 cube option that looks promising (and well priced) but I’d like to know if anyone has these shelves and what they think of them and secondly does anyone have their own recommendations.

26 REPLIES 26
agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Bookcases and where to get them.

For our home we found that Ikea's Billy range was perfect. Cheap, easy to assemble and a range of sizes for most uses.

I know I am singing praises too loud and I am not am employee. Used them for many years.

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have friends who have Ikea Billy bookcases and use them for storing DVDs or Blu-Rays.

One positive is that you can buy extra shelves for them, not cheap though.  I think we worked it out that it was cheaper to buy another bookcase, use the shelves from it and then cut the rest down to make a few more shelves.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collections/billy/

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was thinking of Ikea too, and if you have one locally it is worth a visit.

I think I have some Billy bookcases too, but they're not big ones.

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 94

If you can fix to a wall consider using Twin Slot wall strips and brackets. I bought shelves from my local timber merchant. With dividers this does everything that sectioned boxes do with flexibility on shelf separation and width. See RB UK shelving  https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=rb+uk+shelf

Community Veteran

Just been to the IKEA site to look at the Billy range and was suitably impressed so I put 4 units in my basket and went to the checkout, only to be told that they wanted £35 to deliver them. Fair enough it is 60 miles to IKEA from here but seriously £35 that is the price of a complete case!

So I looked at ScrewFix but I’d need to get the tape measure out to get an accurate price and there are so many more options when using these as with a bit of careful planning I could get a corner fitting as well. I have even found melamine shelves on Wickes so I think I’ll go down this route so thanks @Baldrick1

Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

Community Veteran

I suppose you've looked in the obvious places like Oxfam and other charities furniture shops. The couple of big ones near me always seem to have some good book shelves. And not the usual flat pack chipboard junk which probably goes to the dump and not the charity shop.

Community Veteran

Having thought about the shelving from Wickes I decided against it as the design left the sides open and knowing my luck I’d end up with a land slide of books. So I called in the Carpenter to see what he could do, but the cost was just silly, granted I’d have ended up with shelves the National Library would have been proud of but I couldn’t justify it, so I was back at square one.

To resolve it I ended up going back to Dunelm and got 4 of these, that I am told are arriving today via DHL, so I know what I’ll be doing this weekend I just hope they're worth it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Not much help (other than to suggest you make them yourself - I did) but we had a really nice lot of shelves from our local library when they closed the old place down years back and which were going to be dumped. The Mrs worked there at the time so we were able to rescue them. Solid oak with brass inlays. Had to 'let them go' as they say when we downsized. 

As said, I made the ones we have now which was easy enough. Solid, they fit perfect and are of the right size of course.

Used what are know as 'Steam Punk' brackets (you could make them easy enough) just to be different, and they come in various sizes and are ajustable to an extent. Not from the supplier shown in the clip below by they way.

Capture.PNG

PS, Had a lovely set of eight bentwood chairs as well from that library which we still have, but that's another story. :wink: 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman 

That bracket is a good idea but you would need a fairly big die to cut the threads

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

You would, or a mate that was a pipe fitter!

I used to have access to such stuff so I had to buy mine. :sad:

Fixes: 353

@Mook 

I have always gone for putting my own shelving up a la @Baldrick1's suggestion using metal brackets and some of these. The shelves would usually be pinewood or similar. As for bookends, how about one of these at each end of the shelf but on top of the shelf rather than under it?

This way you have fuil control over width and height of each shelf and be relatively easily adjusted at a later stage.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mav 

Put those up a few times and whilst they can hold a fair bit of weight (depending on how good the wall is) they do need a lot of fixing - and look even more utiltarian than my steam punk ones!  Nice idea about those bookend/brackets. :thumbsup: 

Community Veteran

I had thought of bookends @Mav as I really did like Baldrick 's suggestion but with having to fix them to the shelves it limited the adjustment options so kind of defeated the purpose of the wall mounts, so I figured it would be easier to use the box approach offered by the Dunelm units, and I can stack them so with a bit of luck I'll have something fit for purpose by the end of the weekend.