cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolting the stable door...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Bolting the stable door...

Is it just me... or.... am I just cynical, about all the frenzied action taking place AFTER each event such as the terrorist attack in London.

Not only in the UK.. but just about everywhere these things happen.. be it. a "one off" mental case.. shooting at a school, or a "terror" attack.. the police  manage to get hundreds of their officers doing extra patrols,  armed police are seen patrolling the stations, and other "important" buildings. ...  the scale of these operations is way above what is the "norm" for those places..   Even bringing out heavily armed patrol wagons..!..

WHY ?     Why do they think that having all these extras wandering around looking tough, for a few days AFTER the event, then quietly scaled back down to the "norm". is necessary... do they think that will scare off the next attacker(s) ?

and then there is the other question WHY ?    Why were these police, ( that are suddenly available )... not "normally" doing this patrolling of these "important places"... BEFORE the attacks happened? 

OK.. so they may have some "intel" that something is likely to happen... and it is difficult for them to actually predict times and places.. ... but there does seem to be a lack of "deterrent" patrolling on the streets..  until AFTER the event..  .. and that is due to the year on year reductions in funding,  imposed by those in the government... 

Interestingly... they are still "protected"... regardless of how much they reduce the funding for the police. and other emergency services.

This thread was inspired by this article in my favourite comic !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4345890/Fortress-London-Police-double-number-armed-officers....

5 REPLIES
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Bolting the stable door...

The front page of today's Daily Mail says, "Yesterday it took the Mail two minutes on web to find a terror manual on how to use a car for mass murder" http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/daily-mail-front-page-google-skills_uk_58d4f3bde4b02a2eaab27ac...

As soon as I saw that headline it took me a second (if that) to work it out for myself:  Steer the car into a crowd of people.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

And yet if they didn't do anything and another attack happened it the next few days they would get slammed for being complacent. In today's society there is no 'right' way to do anything - everyone thinks things should be done differently. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mayfly  I agree.... to a point... but you could use that analogy,.. and say... they weren`t doing anything BEFORE this attack...

i.e. "reverse thinking".. about what you said.

If the idea of swamping an area with big "bully boy" vehicles, and lots of police toting guns, is supposed to be a way to "reassure" people...  then you can "reverse think" that into...

Ey up... somethings gonna happen in the next few hours, and they are ready for it... I`m outa here...  ( staying away from that area... )..

in other words... the police, while trying to "assure you, that we know what is going on in the world of terror, espionage, drugs etc etc.".. in actual fact, it looks quite the opposite... because if they "knew" about it, they would have been more prepared for it.... Hence my "stable door" thread...

alanf
Aspiring Pro

shutter wrote:

Why were these police, ( that are suddenly available )... not "normally" doing this patrolling of these "important places"... BEFORE the attacks happened? 

Taking the leave that they are due? Investigating and deterring crime elsewhere? There are finite resources available and if they are currently doing one thing then another thing is now being neglected.

I agree that it is more about being seen to do something. What can be done about using vehicles as weapons anywhere in the country. Concrete bollards along the edge of every pavement and cycle lane?

Minivanman
Hero

In two words, public consumption.

It is what it is.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.