cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boiler scrapage scheme

Community Veteran

Boiler scrapage scheme

Following on from the highly successful car scrappage scheme - we seem to be having one for central heating boilers
"Npower is to become the first major energy supplier to launch its own boiler scrappage scheme from Monday.
Along the same lines as the proposed Government Boiler Scrappage Scheme, Npower will offer £400 off a new boiler when they replace one that's more than 10 years old. It said that people do not have to be Npower customers to qualify, the only stipulations are that the boiler is bought and installed by Npower. "
"The Chancellor said on Wednesday that householders will be able to claim £400 towards the cost of a new energy-efficient boiler under a scrappage scheme for old boilers announced by the Chancellor in his pre-Budget report.
The £50m scheme, which will benefit only people living in England, is likely to be funded entirely by the taxpayer. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/6785836/NPower-launc...
Not sure about Scotland, Wales and NI ?

also I think there are established schemes for pensioners -
anyone have experience of changing boilers ? - no not old chickens - opss sorry wrong thread !
44 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Boiler scrapage scheme

Copied from the "Warm Front" website

If you live in England and your home is not properly insulated or your boiler and heating system is not as good as it should be, the Warm Front Scheme may be just what you need. With heating costs on the rise, it could save you a lot of money and at the same time give you a warmer home, there are a range heating grants and rebates. If you’re not eligble for a WarmFront grant then you may qualify for a rebate and could save you £300.
If you don’t qualify for a grant because you do not receive one of the listed benefits, you may be entitled to a £300 rebate instead. This rebate can be put towards the cost of installing or repairing a boiler or central heating. You are eligible for a rebate if you:
    * own your own home or rent from a private landlord and
    * are aged 60 or over and
    * have no central heating or it is not working.
If you don’t qualify for a grant because you do not receive one of the listed benefits, you may be entitled to a £300 rebate instead. This rebate can be put towards the cost of installing or repairing central heating.

Last year we had our boiler replaced under the scheme.... Our old boiler was not working properly, and we contacted Warm Front.... an engineer came, and inspected the old boiler, he reported that it was unservicable, and within 4 weeks a couple of guys appeared, spent the whole day fitting the new boiler, and six weeks later we had a final inspection.... works a treat. !  they even come round after a year and do the first service and re-check the installation!.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We replaced our old combination boiler under this scheme with a condensing boiler. I Might be wrong but that's the only type of boiler they will replace it with.
Took 2 chaps half a day to fix it. Works fine but like everything else these days it has several circuit boards and according to Baxi who service it the cost of a board can be £180 plus vat & fitting costs !
Servicing costs about £70 a year.... No you cannot do it yourself unless you are Corgi Registered (That's not corgi registered as in Cruft's)
Yes it does save on heating bills but not as much as is claimed for us it's about £40 - £50 a year.
johpal
Grafter

If I recall correctly, the boiler to be replaced must be "G" rated for efficiency to qualify under the scrappage scheme. Check for ratings here:
http://www.sedbuk.com
Community Veteran

C.O.R.G.I. Registration, has now been replaced with "Gas safe"  the logo is a yellow triangle in the right half of a black square with the word GAS SAFE REGISTER
Community Veteran

I have recently got the £2000 scrappage on a new car I've bought.  The £2000 was split 50-50 between the car manufacturer and the government.  I noticed that car prices increased as the scheme was introduced.  I wonder what will happen with the boiler scheme. 
A neighbour had a new boiler fitted 2 weeks ago and it cost her £1800.  Is this a typical figure before any discounts?
Fixes: 47

I had one fitted about 12 months ago which cost me £1300
all included. Didn't think about the Warm Front scheme
mentioned elsewhere Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@artmo.... we had the loft insulation done first, and then contacted them to get the boiler changed, (we did not know it was included in the scheme at the time),.... as it happened, they claimed that the loft insulation came to about £50 more than the allowance for a boiler..... we disputed it quite vigourously, and eventually they allowed us the "extra £50" in their estimate, so we got our boiler.... I believe the ceiling (not the loft ! ! !) for the allowance for the whole job is £2,000 (inc the loft) ....
If you ask them.... they should tell you. and you can choose if you need to have the loft done..
A point about the Loft Insulation.... it is now about 8 " thick, so if you already have 2" you will not be able to put floor boards back down, as it will shove the ceiling panels into thebedroom !...
Also they will not do the job unless the whole of the loft is absolutely clear of everything.................including floorboards... ! Undecided
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
.. No you cannot do it yourself unless you are Corgi Registered (That's not corgi registered as in Cruft's)

Why do you believe that you can't do it yourself? My understanding it's only advice not to DIY but no law stopping one from doing it.
nadger
Rising Star

Friend of mine fitted new combination boiler himself but had to get a then CORGI registered fitter to connect to gas supply.
I was told that maximum grant for Warmfront was £2800. I know we are eligible but boiler we installed 24 years ago still keeps working.
Community Veteran

Shutter, thanks for the info.  I see that warmfront is benefit related so that rules that out for me.  The rebate that is mentioned states that it is available if you have no central heating or it is not working. Unfortunately mine is working - it's just a very old boiler.
Community Veteran

The maximum warm front grant is now £3000 I think.
My in-laws are about to have a new boiler, pump and controls plus a total clean-out of their pipes & radiators all funded by that. It's been funding approved and technically inspected and costed, just awaiting a date to do it.
They also qualify for the loft insulation but as they are 100% incapable of clearing the loft (various disabilities being part of the reason they qualify for it all, plus being in their nineties) I'm not sure where that one will end up.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I have to seriously question these schemes. Has anyone actually noticed the prices of the boilers and cars BEFORE these schemes were announced?
I know before the bangers for cash scheme there were new cars for about £6-£7k. Now they all seem to be that price AFTER the £2k financial help!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

That's the point I made in post #5.  I was looking at a Focus back in the spring and it was on special offer for around £10k.  When I heard the scheme was to be introduced I thought I would be able to get one for around £8k.  Surprise, surprise, when I checked they were £12k before the scrappage  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
That's the point I made in post #5.

Ah, apologies chum, never noticed it!
Interesting what you say though, shame none of us have any concrete evidence to prove these car prices are being stitched up.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!