cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boiler running at 3 bar, is that normal?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Boiler running at 3 bar, is that normal?

Long time no type, but on checking my boiler this morning I noticed that the dial on it says its running at 3 bar, is this normal? I'm no plumber but I don't think it's right. I do have an expansion chamber on it, so would it be wise to dump some of this pressure?

23 REPLIES
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Boiler running at 3 bar, is that normal?

Community Veteran

Thanks @Gel, It is maintained annually and the heating engineer is due to come in December so giving him a call wouldn't do any harm, but I'd still like to know if it's normal or not to run at this pressure so I know he's not feeding me a line or if I need to get him in earlier.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

@Mook  most modern boilers run at 1 - 3 bar Thumbs Up  and if it goes over there should be a relief valve that opens

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Thanks @rongtw, that sounds promising, and now you mention the dump valve I recall having it replaced earlier this year and the old one the was left behind had a 3 bar marking on it.

bmc
Pro
Fixes: 3

My combi boiler has a red zone at 3 and above. If it runs above I have to drain water manually.

As important it should sit just above one when not in use. It went way below that earlier this year (when I stopped using the heating in summer). Turns out one of the radiators had air in it - when this was drained the pressure came back up.

Brian

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

3 Bar is fine for me on my baxi boiler... even if it does go into the red the pressure should blow off anyways 

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to check the radiators to see if any need bleeding, but it would appear that 3 bar is acceptable so I'm happy with that.

RichardB
Pro

Hi Moor,

Operating at three bar is not good. Three bar is the pressure that the relief valve will activate at to limit the pressure.

Sealed heating systems have "pressure vessels" / "expansion vessels" to control the pressure.

A pressure vessel is simple a container which has a large air bubble/sack inside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_tank

If you are reaching 3 bar then it is probable that the expansion vessel has lost it air.

With a failed expansion vessel the boiler pressure will drop when cold and exceed the normal high limit when hot.

Richard

Community Veteran

@RichardB, what you say is contrary to the other opinions, nothing wrong with that, but thinking about it 3 bar must be an acceptable pressure to operate at if the dump valve operates just on or above it, otherwise the value would have a lower pressure threshold.

I do have an expansion chamber on it and it was installed after my dump valve was replaced and that’s been in less than 2 years IIRC.

Anyone else have any thoughts to back up RichardB’s theory?

Pete11
Pro

We have a Worcester-Bosch boiler and the paperwork says the pressure "must not exceed 2.5 bar" and "The optimum pressure is between 1.5 and 1.7 bar" so that's where I keep it. No point taking chances.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What's the pressure when everything is cold? If it rises a lot when the system heats up I'd guess that would be because of air in a radiator expanding.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Mook

A closed system is designed to replicate the head pressure that an open-vented system would run at in order to maintain prime at all the points in the system. One bar is about 33 feet of water head. Your boiler is running at over 100 feet of water head, which is equivalent to having a head tank in the loft of in one hell of a tall house! It's way too high. Ideally it should operate at no more that 1.5bar.

If you get a radiator or a joint springing a leak the fountain might reach the ceiling!

Community Veteran

Excellent @nozzer, thanks for that I'll check it again tomorrow and if it's sitting at over 2 bar I'll call the heating engineer in.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Mook

You were going to bleed some radiators? Try that first and let some water out. It's probably been set up with the system cold and risen because of the increase in water temp at the weather has got colder. A build up of air in the system will also have the same effect as others have suggested. Less space for the water to occupy.