cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boeing's New Plane

Community Veteran

Boeing's New Plane

After years of delay Boeing has launched its new 787 Dreamliner.  Looks quite a plane.
Dreamliner
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Boeing's New Plane

A little more on the 787:
More 787
itsme
Grafter

If I had a choice of going on a 787 or an A380 I would take the latter.
Fixes: 124

I've not flown on an Airbus A380 yet but would like to try both.
From Artmo's second link:
The strength of the cabin means the pressure inside can be maintained at a higher level than in conventional aircraft which counteracts the effects of travel sickness and reduces the impact of jet-lag

I thought jet-lag was more to do with time difference between destinations (more so when the destination time zone is ahead). I'm certain we had a discussion on this before but can't find it...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

I saw that. Have to say that I never suffered from jet lag when I go skiing and the air pressure is about the same Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
If I had a choice of going on a 787 or an A380 I would take the latter.

Why do you say that?  It's early days for both aircraft.
Airbus 380
The Airbus is the bigger plane seating up to 853 passengers whereas the Boeing seats up to 290.
James
Grafter

I flew to Melbourne on an A380 (economy) having flown normally on a Boeing.  I didn't really notice any improvement in the flight comfort personally.
Flew back from Melbourne (1st) on a 747, which was a bit more comfortable though.
Community Veteran

How long does it take to de-plane from the A380 James?  How many exits are used?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

Why do you say that?  It's early days for both aircraft.
The Airbus is the bigger plane seating up to 853 passengers whereas the Boeing seats up to 290.

Same as for double decker buses you can sit upstairs and see more.  Grin Grin
Fixes: 47

Grin Grin
Maybe the Conductor won't have time to get upstairs before it's time to get off and you get a free ride. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The sticker price for the new plane is reported to be $150m.
Further reports say that the launch airline, ANA, has struck a deal at $75m.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ah but would I want to fly in a plane with plastic wings (Dreamliner is composite construction) rather than proper aluminium aircraft alloy?
Having said that in the book I'm writing at the moment the bad guy is applying Gallium metal to the main wing spar of a 747....
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not sure "plastic" is right for the composite used. Carbon-fibre composite is lighter but stronger than steel, easier to work into the desired shape than aero grade alloys. Very importantly less susceptible to corrosion. It does however make aircraft wings look odd in flight as its more flexible giving them a distinct upward curve when fully loaded.
There is certainly less material waste with CF. Very few aircraft alloy panels and parts start as flat sheets. Most are milled out of solid blanks, which is not only very time consuming but is also very very expensive.
Probably one day all aircraft will be made this way.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, Boeing said they see all future new commercial aircraft to be made using the new CF composite.
I saw an interesting programme on CNBC yesterday and ANA were very involved in the design of this plane and tested the material rigorously. They said they see it as the future of new designs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

CF is not the be all and end all. The original Rolls Royce RB211 aircraft  engine used carbon fibre for the fan blades. The CF blades had the unfortunate characteristic of falling apart when going through clouds.  They've since changed to titanium.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.